You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-26 22:48:14

nv

pacman post installation messages

Hello everyone,

when I install a package, any post-installation messages are displayed on the current terminal. Most of the time, this is ok for me, since I use xterm and then - after each upgrade - I carefully scroll through all displayed messages. Doing the same upgrade on a regular (non-X) terminal would require me to copy the stdout output by redirection or by using 'tee'. if I forget to do so, information might get lost if I don't read it during the upgrade.

(1) Is it possible to re-read these messages? Maybe in a log file?

(2) Would it be possible for pacman to recognize that there is a postinstallation message, count these and then summarize at the end of the upgrade: "There have been XX upgrade messages which might require attention. Refer to FILENAME for details."

I understand that the post-installation scripts only echo these messages, so one would either have to (A) change all installation scripts to use some kind of function like 'install_echo', which would be logged by pacman. This solution is not so much KISS anymore, since we would have to introduce a new shell function. Or one could (B) monitor stdout for lines beginning with '>>>'; this sounds better to me.

Are there any working solutions to this?

Niklas.

#2 2006-12-26 23:26:24

stonecrest

Re: pacman post installation messages

nv wrote:

It is included in the pacman.log in pacman3 smile

I am a gated community.

#3 2006-12-27 08:27:26

nv

Re: pacman post installation messages

stonecrest wrote:
nv wrote:

It is included in the pacman.log in pacman3 smile

Wonderful! Now we just have to wait for pacman3 to be released...

Board footer