You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-06 13:45:41

alba4k
Website

snd_sof_pci_intel_tgl breaking hibernation

Hi.

Ever since I bought this laptop, I've had this moderately annoying issue where hibernation will not work as long as snd_sof_pci_intel_tgl is loaded.

What happens is that the screen freezes, turns black for a second and then back on (still frozen, so far so good, everything looks correct), but then the laptop never turns off. The system did hibernate correctly tho, it simply won't turn off (I'm assuming it fails to unload the module?), meaning that turning it off manually (pressing the power button for 10 seconds) and turning it back on will restore the previous session as expected.

I have got it working with a hacky workaround, a systemd service that unloads and reloads the module when entering / exiting sleep, which will only work when the installed kernel is the same as the running one, since updating it will obviously change where the module is located at in /lib/modules.

/usr/lib/systemd/system/xps_hibernation.service
[Unit]
Description=Unload a module during hibernation
Before=sleep.target
StopWhenUnneeded=yes

[Service]
Type=oneshot
RemainAfterExit=yes
ExecStart=/usr/bin/modprobe -r snd_sof_pci_intel_tgl
ExecStop=/usr/bin/modprobe snd_sof_pci_intel_tgl

[Install]
WantedBy=sleep.target

My laptop is a Dell XPS 9320 (complete specifications can be found here, I'm running an i7-1260P in case that matters), I've had this issue for every kernel (both mainline and zen) and sof-firmware version since august 2022 (when I got the laptop).

Journalctl does not seem to report anything related when entering hibernation.

Some maybe useful package versions (all 3 are updated to the latest currently avaiable):

• sof-firmware: 2.2.3-1

• linux-zen: 6.1.3.zen1-1

• linux-firmware: 20221214.f3c283e-1

Is anybody experiencing the same with this or a similar laptop? Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be?

Thanks a lot in advance

Last edited by alba4k (2023-01-07 17:39:58)

Board footer