You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-10 10:26:13

DanielHCoding

Unable to change cursor size for SDDM

How is it possible to adjust the size of the cursor for the login screen?
I tried all possibilities in /etc/sddm.conf.d/settings.conf and /usr/share/sddm/themes/breeze/theme.conf and /usr/share/sddm/themes/breeze/theme.conf.user to set CursorSize=24. GitHub's solution doesn't change anything either:
https://github.com/sddm/sddm/pull/1498
Only by setting XCURSOR_SIZE=24 in /etc/environment does the cursor change its size, but it still appears in the wrong size every time the LoginManager starts and after you confirm the password.
By the way, I use a 4k monitor and noticed that the font size in the boot process increases when "starting systemd-udevd ..." is reached. Is that why the cursor is perhaps displayed in the wrong resolution and therefore appears much too large?

Thank you in advance for your ideas!

#2 2023-04-03 09:12:40

jeois

Re: Unable to change cursor size for SDDM

I'm having the same issue, although I'm trying to make my cursor larger. 

You're right, setting "CursorSize=" in  /etc/sddm.conf.d/  or /etc/sddm.conf or any of the theme config files does not help at all.  Thanks for telling us about XCURSOR_SIZE, and it may be possible to pass this setting parameter earlier in the init process, but it's good enough for now and I can't be bothered anymore.  I can't even get my SDDM theme to appear in the KConfig Module (sddm-kcm) and had to install it manually. 

It's unfortunate that those contributions in the SDDM dev threads did not actually address this, even though that was clearly their aim, and it did seem to work for some users.

Is it possible we're having problems because of early systemd init?  I don't know which init system you're using, but I have systemd hooks in my initramfs.  It seems to revert to default cursor size during the startup process regardless of our settings, so if anyone familiar with display server init knows how to pass this setting earlier or such that it doesn't get overridden, then that would be much appreciated.

#3 2023-04-04 07:56:50

DanielHCoding

Thanks for your reply and good to know I'm not the only one with this problem.

Maybe you are right that it has to do with the init system. I also use systemd as my init system.
I would also be very grateful if anyone knows more about this for further ideas/suggestions. Although the workaround in /etc/environment works it feels kind of wrong as SDDM explicitly offers the possibility for this in their configuration files.

I know it's more cosmetic but the resizing on every startup is a bit annoying over time.

#4 2023-04-07 18:44:11

jeois

Well, almost everyone uses systemd nowadays, so I don't think that's it.  I was talking about the boot hooks in the initramfs because I noticed you said it reverts during "starting systemd-udevd".  Something is overriding our settings during that phase of boot.

Now SDDM can't even find my cursors because they're in ./local/share/icons, so giving it's me a mismatched default, smh.

#5 2023-04-21 18:57:28

jclsn

Same issue here. Have you found a solution by now?

Board footer