You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-28 08:01:19

iamnafets

Totem Taking Up All CPU to Decode FLAC and WMA

First of all, I want to thank Arch Linux for creating one crazy distro.  It seems to be the perfect level between flexibility and power and user-friendliness.  Not for the total linux newbie, but close.  I come from a long term windows background, played around in Ubuntu Linux for a while, and I think Arch may be my new home.  Absolutely love it.

Anyways, my problem today (that I can't seem to fix) is that Totem is just eating CPU cycles like crazy (60-80% of the CPU) just to play my FLAC and WMA files.  It's not the system either.  In Ubuntu, I couldn't play WMA, but the FLAC would take maybe 5% of the CPU.  The sound configuration took a bit of effort, with having to select the secondary sound card through ALSA configuration, but I still am lost as to why it's doing this.  I'm using the gstreamer version of totem, with plugins FFMPEG and FLAC.  If I can provide any other information to help, I'd be glad to.  At the moment I'm feeding it sound-card free through some USB Bose speakers, but the problem remains using the integrated speakers and sound card (it's a Gateway CX200 laptop).  Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Stefan Mai

UPDATE 2:11 AM (Wow, it's late) : I installed Beep Media player and the WMA plugin for it...same result, still don't know what that means.  I'm guessing there may be some sort of hardware acceleration that I haven't tapped?

Board footer