You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-18 13:49:31

HikamJC

Can UEFI firmware compel the operating system to alter its boot mode?

Because Windows 8 and 10 launches with Hiberboot enabled by default, when you go to Start->Power->Shutdown, the machine really goes into S4, not S5. I need to be able to compel Windows to conduct a full boot rather than "wake" from S4, regardless of how it was previously shut down. I tried forcing my UEFI BIOS BootMode to always be BOOT WITH FULL CONFIGURATION, but it didn't work - Windows still uses the quick boot route. I read this article to understand it more correctly but I need more information.

It used to be able to set the DIAG mode with the Simple Boot Flag in the BIOS; this may still work for me, but it does not appear to be supported in Windows 8/10. Is there a UEFI variable or another way to communicate with the OS to boot in full or diagnostic mode?

Hello, my name is Hikam, and I'm a Prolific Java programmer with 4+ years of experience and a solid background in RESTful and JSP development. OddPointer is looking for efficient programming. In recent years, I have built an average of 10+ native Java apps per year. I'm also familiar with C++, C, and HTML, and am actively learning CSS and Python.

#2 2023-01-18 15:28:32

d.ALT

Re: Can UEFI firmware compel the operating system to alter its boot mode?

HikamJC wrote:

Is there a UEFI variable or another way to communicate with the OS to boot in full or diagnostic mode?

You're not explaining the reason why. (or maybe I am the one missing the point...)

Tha said, please have a look at the whole 1.5 Paragraph: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dual_b … ibernation

<49,17,III,I>    Fama di loro il mondo esser non lassa;
<50,17,III,I>    misericordia e giustizia li sdegna:
<51,17,III,I>    non ragioniam di lor, ma guarda e passa.

#3 2023-01-19 09:38:01

Lone_Wolf

Re: Can UEFI firmware compel the operating system to alter its boot mode?

That topic doesn't seem to deal with uefi booting, but the older bios booting .
I never heard of "bootmode BOOT WITH FULL CONFIGURATION" , can you elaborate ?

You may be able to use windows Boot Configuration Data to force something, https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo … in-windows gives an overview of those.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer