You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-29 21:19:02

Oxyn

Customizing linux encryption prompt on startup

I set up my system encryption following the arch wiki's https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dm-cry … ire_system LVM on luks. When i turn on my system the prompt asks something similar to "a password is required for the cryptlvm volume". However, I would like to change or add more text to this so i can add the name of the system owner and even a return address if the system gets lost. So far i have been unable to find any similar questions anywhere. Only people who are missing a prompt at all or would like no prompt, I have also asked this question on https://unix.stackexchange.com/question … on-startup to reach a wider audience but have not received any feedback. Its possible i missed a section on this in the arch wiki but i have read the related encryption pages carefully and have found no help. i also looked at man pages for cryptsetup and cryptsetup-config and also could not find anything. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

#2 2023-01-29 21:22:35

frostschutz

Re: Customizing linux encryption prompt on startup

What does your mkinitcpio.conf look like? Or are you using dracut? If you're using the simple encrypt hook, you could simply add another custom hook before that which echo / printf the messages you'd like to see. However this approach won't work with systemd sd-encrypt hook.

Other options would be to add this to the Grub bootloader menu (if you are using that), or the oldfashioned "glue a sticker on the back of the device".

Last edited by frostschutz (2023-01-29 21:24:09)

#3 2023-01-29 21:27:15

Oxyn

I am using the standard encrypt hook. Thank you for the idea I will look into creating a mkinitcpio module!

#4 2023-01-30 00:28:08

Oxyn

I created a mkinitcpio module and it worked perfectly!

#5 2023-02-02 21:04:54

espritlibre

this sounds interesting, could you please explain how did you do this?

Board footer