You are not logged in.

#1 2023-02-02 08:20:25

mbw

[SOLVED] xpdf language support

The xpdf download page lists some "language support packages" which I probably need since I can't seem to copy Japanese characters properly (works with evince using the same document).

I did however not find any such packages in <pre>community</pre> or the AUR.
Would I need to install language packages (or xpdf itself) manually?

Last edited by mbw (2023-02-10 06:31:01)

#2 2023-02-02 10:19:55

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] xpdf language support

poppler-data is normally what contains stuff like this (which is part of the optional dependency chain of xpdf -> poppler -> poppler-data). But if that works in evince which will be using poppler as well it's more likely a bug in xpdf somewhere. I'd also assume this to be more related to rendering rather than copying. What's your exact issue and problem and usecase? Do you prefer xpdf and the fact it copies incorrectly (how exactly? What are you copying and where are you pasting) breaks some expectation?

FWIW: Reading the README in the language support file suggests that what you are assuming to be the case, in which case yeah you probably need to download and configure them yourself currently.

Last edited by V1del (2023-02-02 10:26:00)

#3 2023-02-10 06:27:24

mbw

Re: [SOLVED] xpdf language support

V1del wrote:

FWIW: Reading the README in the language support file suggests that what you are assuming to be the case, in which case yeah you probably need to download and configure them yourself currently.

Indeed, the language support package is necessary, I double checked with the xpdf maintainer.
I wonder what the correct way of packaging this for Arch would be though. One AUR package for every language?

Board footer