You are not logged in.

#1 2023-02-04 00:41:34

spacekobold

[SOLVED] TTYs freeze on Nvidia graphics but functional from AMD IGPU

When my system boots, when plugged into my Nvidia graphics card, the TTY showing systemd freezes (around the 'mounted /home' point, but never exactly the same place) before proceeding to boot into my desktop manager. Attempting to switch to another TTY with ctrl-alt-F# shows the TTY still frozen from boot. However, if I switch to my AMD IGPU output through my motherboard, the TTYs are visible and function as expected, but only after I log into my greeter. The TTYs visible from the IGPU have the correct resolution while the frozen TTYs from my graphics card are stuck on the lower resolution I used with GRUB.

I am using the proprietary Nvidia driver because Nouveau seems even more broken. The symptom with Nouveau is similar, but it fails to get to my desktop manager entirely. Since the issue seems to be isolated to the Nvidia graphics card and the TTYs are still accessible through integrated graphics, this leads me to believe the issue must be somehow related to my graphics driver however I'm not sure how it happened. For context, my computer has been essentially unusable since I built it due to severe memory instability and I had mothballed in November until I could address that. I just got around to working on it again and after a component cleaning/re-seat I turned it on and ran a full system update, after which it wouldn't boot. One new motherboard later and some live USB recovery (reinstalling GRUB, switching off of Nouveau, disabling network services for old motherboard) I am able to boot and memory is stable, but quirks remain.

My graphics card is a Nvidia 3080 Ti and my CPU is a Ryzen 7600x. Previous motherboard was an Asus Prime B650M-A AX, and new one is an AsRock X670E Pro RS. I'm using KDE on X11 with SDDM.

Last edited by spacekobold (2023-02-04 02:47:29)

#2 2023-02-04 01:35:32

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] TTYs freeze on Nvidia graphics but functional from AMD IGPU

This happens due to a change in the 6.0 kernels, where the in kernel driver for amdgpu will steal the TTY framebuffer of the nvidia card. It will fix itself if you disable the igpu in your EFI/blacklist amdgpu. https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA … grated_GPU

Some other things to consider if it is random is enabling modesetting and early module loading: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA … de_setting

Last edited by V1del (2023-02-04 01:37:20)

#3 2023-02-04 02:45:33

spacekobold

Blacklisting amdgpu fixed my issue. For future reference, what's a good way to keep up with these sorts of changes?

#4 2023-02-04 13:41:39

V1del
Forum Moderator

I don't think there's a "general" way to keep track here. It's a good idea to at least read the boards here once in a while as issues like these will get posted about quickly. E.g. this issue was discussed rather actively when it first appeared. There's in theory a kernel patch to restore the previous status but afaik the kernel devs don't want to carry it and nvidia would need to implement their own high res FB driver to not get "not considered" by the unpatched kernel.

Board footer