You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-30 17:29:18

nightfrost

compiz PKGBUILDs (compiz repo added!)

compiz & compiz-git repo

New packages added: compiz 0.3.6 & friends.

Add this to to /etc/pacman.conf

[compiz]
Server = http://www.naderehvandi.net/arch/compiz/

News January 28th

compiz:
    * Added a bunch of patches from gandalfn's ubuntu packages. Please notify me if anything turned out for the worse.
compiz-git
    * Updated packages to latest git.
Other things:
    * Added screenlets 0.0.3
    * latest libgl-dri now works fine (actually it has been working fine for a while, but I just removed the note)

News January 6th
compiz-core:
    * Added note about LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 for AIGLX users
    * Added patch for ati-on-AIGLX users
compiz-core-git
    * Added note about LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 for AIGLX users
    * Added patch for ati-on-AIGLX users
    * added an updated resize plugin
Other things:
* Changed conflicts and provides arrays. The only conflicts and provides are now between my own packages, so if you have packages installed from elsewhere you should remove them first.

* All git packages conflict with & provide their respective non-git versions. All non-git versions of packges conflict with their respective git-versions but do not provide them. All other packages depend on the non-git versions of required packages, since the git versions "provide" them. There are no groups. Post here if there are still any problems.

* ATI-on-AIGLX users: please test the new packages and post here if you still have problems!

Included packages:

compiz-core-git
compiz-core
compiz-gnome-git
compiz-gnome
compiz-kde-git
compiz-kde
compiz-extra-plugins
compiz-settings
gnome-compiz-manager
gnome-compiz-manager-extra
screenlets

Last edited by nightfrost (2007-01-28 16:50:24)

#2 2006-12-31 16:01:33

nightfrost

Re: compiz PKGBUILDs (compiz repo added!)

Ah, what the hell. They're in the AUR now...

Now, people, if you too think that beryl performance sucks, please vote for some compiz packages at AUR so that we might get them in to official repos...

#3 2006-12-31 16:22:27

tardo

If it's not too much to ask, how about a short tutorial or instructions on how to get this up and running.

#4 2006-12-31 16:32:18

nightfrost

The thing is, it's just so simple to get started that I don't if it's worth writing anything down about it in the form of a tutorial.

Here's what I do:

If you're running GNOME install
compiz-core-git
compiz-gnome-git
compiz-extra-plugins
gnome-compiz-manager
gnome-compiz-manager-extra

compiz-settings would be good to install as well.

When this is done, just run compiz-tray-icon and enable the effects.

If you prefer not to install gnome-compiz-manager, compiz can nowadays be started with a simple

compiz --replace gconf

or possibly

LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 compiz --replace gconf

and then you can change the settings with compiz-settings

Do notice the nice archlinux logo on the top face of the cube smile

#5 2006-12-31 17:37:53

nightfrost

Happy new year everybody. Add this to you pacman.conf:

[compiz]
Server = http://www.naderehvandi.net/arch/compiz/

if you're a gnome user:

pacman -S compiz-core-git compiz-gnome-git compiz-extra-plugins compiz-settings gnome-compiz-manager gnome-compiz-manager-extra

and add compiz-tray-icon to start with your session...

if you're a KDE user:

pacman -S compiz-core-git compiz-kde-git compiz-extra-plugins compiz-settings

You can start compiz with a simple

compiz --replace gconf

and fiddle with the settings in compiz-settings

Please note that compiz-extra-plugins takes a while to install and uninstall since the install script installs a bunch gconf schemas.

Oh, and the ctrail schema is borked so it will give you a message about that...

These packages might not work for you, and do all sorts of nasty things; you're responsible for that...
That said, they work fine for me...

#6 2006-12-31 19:44:21

manmower

I've tried the PKGBUILDs yesterday and your repo today, both install fine but when trying to run

compiz --replace  gconf

I get the following error:

compiz: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is not supported by direct rendering context, trying indirect rendering context instead
compiz: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is missing
compiz: Failed to manage screen: 0
compiz: No manageable screens found on display :0.0

compiz-settings starts fine, compiz-tray-icon seems to do nothing at all though. This is using the open source radeon driver (fglrx won't let me use custom resolutions). My xorg is setup for AIGLX, this exact same config works fine with Beryl... So no Compiz for me yet, but thanks for your work! I'm sure this will work for others.

#7 2006-12-31 20:07:52

nightfrost

oh yeah, try this

I have this in my .bashrc as an export so I tend to forget about it...

#8 2007-01-01 13:36:55

manmower

That almost works.  wink

Compiz starts but now I'm stuck without window decorations. I tried the obvious (checking if the plugin is enabled) but that's not the problem. Do I need to install the decorator separately or something?

Oh, and Happy New Year!

#9 2007-01-01 13:48:06

nightfrost

Hey, glad to hear it's almost there.
Try starting gtk-window-decorator (which is part of compiz-gnome-git).

gtk-window-decorator --replace

...or kde-window-decorator (which is part of compiz-kde-git) if you're using KDE.

If it works, I believe you can add 'gtk-window-decorator' in the settings of the decorator plugin using compiz-settings, and then it will be started automatically.

Hope it works. If it does, I'd be interested in a little report of how you experience compiz as compared to beryl...

#10 2007-01-01 18:13:41

manmower

Thanks, that did the trick!

Compared to Beryl, frankly I had hoped there would be more of a noticeable difference in performance. Might be related to the indirect rendering, Beryl works fine with texture from pixmap and direct rendering (or at least it seems to).

Other than that, the Compiz tray icon still doesn't seem to want to work for me. The settings dialog is a lot cleaner in Compiz, although both Compiz & Beryl have options that are a bit over my head in some places.

The bottom line is both are at this point unusable for me on a day to day basis. Too many basics e.g. scrolling in maximized windows and resizing are too slow in comparison to Metacity. This could have a lot to do with my specific graphics card though (Radeon 9800 is not yet well supported by the open source driver). I'm only really after some transparency and shadows and could do without some of the flashier stuff. Hopefully Metacity itself will have these features in the near future, without the performance impact of Compiz/Beryl.

#11 2007-01-01 21:04:43

nightfrost

Alright, thanks for the report, and I'm sure as the radeon driver improves you will see how nice compiz can be, especially since you can turn all the plugins off except the ones you want (like shadows, transparency, etc.). I'm saying this cause I run compiz on an Intel 855GM graphics chipset, which is really really low end, and compiz feels much more reponsive than metacity. Moving windows around in metacity, e.g., always leaves trails. (Scrolling might be somewhat slower with compiz, but hardly noticeable). Also, I've become to really appreciate the 'scale' plugin to have an overview over all my open windows.

Now, why I'm interested in reports comparing beryl/compiz is because beryl is very painful to use on my system (even with most plugins turned off). And I want to know if the differences are noticeable even with better graphic cards.

Anyway, did you try gnome-compiz-manager. That one will most probably not have configuration options that are over your head.

Not sure why compiz-tray-icon doesn't work for you, I'll investigate that.

#12 2007-01-03 22:48:16

tardo

installing compiz-core-git... done.
installing compiz-gnome-git... done.
installing compiz-extra-plugins... done.
opt/gnome/etc/gconf/schemas/ctrail.schema:15: parser error : Extra content at the end of the document
        <schema>
        ^
installing compiz-settings... done.
installing gnome-compiz-manager... done.
installing gnome-compiz-manager-extra... done.

Wednesday 5.48 pm EST

#13 2007-01-03 23:10:18

nightfrost

tardo wrote:
installing compiz-core-git... done.
installing compiz-gnome-git... done.
installing compiz-extra-plugins... done.
opt/gnome/etc/gconf/schemas/ctrail.schema:15: parser error : Extra content at the end of the document
        <schema>
        ^
installing compiz-settings... done.
installing gnome-compiz-manager... done.
installing gnome-compiz-manager-extra... done.

Wednesday 5.48 pm EST

Yeah, I know... I think I'll just remove the ctrail build from the PKGBUILD. I have to do something about this package... Make sure to pacman -Suy tomorrow...

#14 2007-01-04 00:10:59

nightfrost

Packages are now upgraded. compiz-extra-plugins uses gandlafn's package. There should be no problems with the package anymore...

#15 2007-01-04 12:34:55

Moo-Crumpus

When activating compiz, all windows decorations get lost. The window manager can no longer handle windows - unable to change focus, or use any button, icon, etc. I installed compiz for gnome as it was told above. When starting compiz settings, I am told about dbus would not have been started - rubbish, it has been started.Hints?

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#16 2007-01-04 13:56:21

nightfrost

Just activate dbus when compiz-settings ask you to. I think when you launch compiz the first time, almost no plugins are activated. You will have to enable decorations, cube, rotate, etc., to have everything working.

You could also start gnome-compiz-preferences instead to fix the settings.

This is, I guess, a problem with how the gconf schemas get exported in the .install files during installation. I'd appreciate if anyone could take a look at the PKGBUILDs (they're to be found at the AUR), and suggest some changes to make this work better.

#17 2007-01-04 19:46:44

manmower

Moo-Crumpus wrote:

When activating compiz, all windows decorations get lost. The window manager can no longer handle windows - unable to change focus, or use any button, icon, etc. I installed compiz for gnome as it was told above. When starting compiz settings, I am told about dbus would not have been started - rubbish, it has been started.Hints?

I had the same problem initially, but nightfrost's suggestion worked here: try starting Compiz with

and then

nightfrost wrote:

Try starting gtk-window-decorator (which is part of compiz-gnome-git).

...or kde-window-decorator (which is part of compiz-kde-git) if you're using KDE.

If it works, I believe you can add 'gtk-window-decorator' in the settings of the decorator plugin using compiz-settings, and then it will be started automatically.

#18 2007-01-04 20:05:20

nightfrost

Hm.. I'm gonna include some information in the install script when I do the next update. That might make things easier.

Aside from that, I've added new packages (non-git versions), which means I probably introduced some new packaging issues. More information in the first post.

#19 2007-01-05 08:01:40

Moo-Crumpus

manmower wrote:

try starting Compiz with

and then

Sorry, didn't work. I did exactly what has been said above.
-- Having LIBGL_ALWAYS .... to enable compiz makes gnome freeze when starting in a black screen
-- Disabling LIBGL_ALWAYS ... and starting compiz manually should also work, shouldn't it. Doing so starts compiz, decorations disappear, although the plugin for gtk-window-decorator is properly activated and configured. But I have wobbling popups ... smile

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#20 2007-01-05 09:36:29

timtux
Website

Whats the diffrence between compiz and beryl?

http://timtux.net/ - my personal blog about almost everything

#21 2007-01-05 11:38:51

STiAT

Beryl is based on compiz, and once was part of the compiz project.

They split off some day, mainly due to the fact the developers didn't get along with their thoughts about the implementation.

Both are good, i'll still stick to the one which ARCH will provide. At the moment, i'm not very sure how this can help me in my daily work, but there are some features i like very much, as placing all windows next to each other so they won't overlap.

I've tried both, and found more than less no pro and contras, just that beryl sometimes has troubles with window decorations (they disappear, and i need to reload beryl to get them back).
The placing of the windows on shade doesn't always work as intended, just shading and instead of staying (as configured) they are sometimes placed random on the screen, sometimes it works properly, sometimes they move out of the screen on unfocus and similar things...

// STi

Ability is nothing without opportunity.

#22 2007-01-05 12:55:15

timtux
Website

thanks for the answer STiAT smile

http://timtux.net/ - my personal blog about almost everything

#23 2007-01-05 13:22:43

nightfrost

@Moo-Crumpus: what's your graphics card & drivers?

@timtux: There are quite a few attempts to answer your question over at the beryl & compiz forums. Just search the forums there to see the results. Personally, I much more prefer compiz because beryl won't run well on low end cards.

#24 2007-01-05 15:55:27

brainwasher
Website

manmower wrote:
Moo-Crumpus wrote:

I had the same problem initially, but nightfrost's suggestion worked here: try starting Compiz with

if i do this the system freeze, and restart to gdm...any solution ??
Aiglx is actived, and glx indirect accelleration is enable

#25 2007-01-05 16:07:09

nightfrost

Maybe you should starting compiz from compiz-tray-icon instead of from command line. Perhaps compiz-tray-icon does some magic before starting compiz...

Board footer