You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-30 23:28:04

laolang_cool

Does abs's PKGBUILD of xpdf have problem?

After I compiled it, nothing at pkg/usr/bin, so when I pacman -A it, I can't run xpdf! I use abs's pkgbuild, and all dep has resolved of cource.

#2 2006-12-31 04:31:08

djscholl

Re: Does abs's PKGBUILD of xpdf have problem?

Perhaps some others could help you based on the information you have provided, but I need to ask a few additional questions.

Are you compiling by running the makepkg command from the command line, or using some other method?

When using a method capable of both running the build script and showing you error messages (e.g., the makepkg command from the command line) do the patch, sed, configure, make, make install, or install steps in the build script produce error messages?

After compilation, is the xpdf binary built and present in the $startdir/src tree?

Is there only $startdir/pkg, or does $startdir/pkg/usr/bin exist?

Is the desktop file present in $startdir/pkg/usr/share/applications?

Are the man pages present in $startdir/pkg/usr/man?

Is the pixmap present in $startdir/pkg/usr/share/pixmaps?

Is the file xpdf-3.01_pl2-7.pkg.tar.gz created? If so, do its contents match the contents of the $startdir/pkg tree?

#3 2006-12-31 08:10:00

laolang_cool

1. I use fakeroot -- makepkg

2. I don't know where to find the error messages, but I copy some of them:
gfile.cc:(.text+0x632): warning: the use of `tmpnam' is dangerous, better use `mkstemp'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/abs/local/office/xpdf/src/xpdf-3.01/xpdf'
mkdir -p /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/bin
/bin/install -c xpdf/pdftops /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/bin/pdftops
/bin/install -c xpdf/pdftotext /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/bin/pdftotext
/bin/install -c xpdf/pdfinfo /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/bin/pdfinfo
/bin/install -c xpdf/pdffonts /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/bin/pdffonts
/bin/install -c xpdf/pdfimages /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/bin/pdfimages
mkdir -p /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/man/man1
/bin/install -c -m 644 ./doc/pdftops.1 /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/man/man1/pdftops.1
/bin/install -c -m 644 ./doc/pdftotext.1 /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/man/man1/pdftotext.1
/bin/install -c -m 644 ./doc/pdfinfo.1 /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/man/man1/pdfinfo.1
/bin/install -c -m 644 ./doc/pdffonts.1 /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/man/man1/pdffonts.1
/bin/install -c -m 644 ./doc/pdfimages.1 /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/man/man1/pdfimages.1
mkdir -p /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/man/man5
/bin/install -c -m 644 ./doc/xpdfrc.5 /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/man/man5/xpdfrc.5
mkdir -p /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/etc
/bin/install -c -m 644 ./doc/sample-xpdfrc /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/etc/xpdfrc
==> Removing info/doc files...
==> Compressing man pages...
==> Stripping debugging symbols from libraries...
==> Stripping symbols from binaries...
==> Generating .PKGINFO file...
==> Copying install script...
==> Generating .FILELIST file...
==> Compressing package...
==> Cleaning up...
==> Finished making: xpdf  (Sun Dec 31 16:05:42 PST 2006)

3. $startdir/pkg/ has etc/ and usr/, but the /usr/bin/ is empty.

4. desktop file presents in that dir.

5. man/ presents in that dir, and man1/ is empty, man5/ has xpdfrc.5.gz.

6. pixmap doesn't present in that dir!

7. xpdf-3.01_pl2-7.pkg.tar.gz has created.

#4 2006-12-31 08:35:28

laolang_cool

I have some try, and I install libxp printproto what I think not need for me, now when I compile, it prompt:
g++ -march=i686 -O2 -pipe -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.. -I./../goo -I./../fofi -I./../splash -I. -I/usr/include/freetype2  -I/usr/include     -I/usr/include   -I/usr/include -DHAVE_XPDFCORE -c -o SecurityHandler.x.o
        SecurityHandler.cc
/usr/include/X11/VendorP.h:87: error: previous declaration of 'VendorShellClassRec vendorShellClassRec' with 'C++' linkage
/usr/include/Xm/VendorSP.h:58: error: conflicts with new declaration with 'C' linkage
make[1]: *** [SecurityHandler.x.o] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
==> ERROR: Build Failed.  Aborting...
what's wrong?

#5 2007-01-01 06:58:09

djscholl

OK, now we have something I can reproduce. I get exactly the same error when I try to make my own xpdf package using the current CVS files for the xpdf package. I just ran pacman -Sy and pacman -Su, so my system is up to date.

This error requires help from someone with more expertise than I have. If no one posts with better advice, you may want to file a bug report in the "Packages: Extra" category, and reference this thread.

It's not the highest priority, but I think the devs like to keep the packages in buildable condition.  This build obviously worked a couple of months ago (Oct 15), but packages it depends on have been updated since then, and that may be where the error crept in. In particular, the two header files listed in the error message were updated with the libxt (Nov 11) and lesstif (Dec 21) packages.

When I start xpdf from the command line, it says:

xpdf: Symbol `_XmStrings' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking

I don't know whether this is related, but it suggests to me that that perhaps the xpdf binary is falling behind its dependencies. Arch bug 6081 mentions relinking of xpdf, but doesn't include this xmstrings message.

#6 2007-01-01 15:33:43

laolang_cool

sorry, seems I cant log in, and I don't know how to register as a bug reporter, can you help me submit this bug?
thanks a lot!

#7 2007-01-07 13:45:57

djscholl

I filed bug report 6132. The dev fixed the problem and released new packages for xpdf and lesstif. After updating your system via pacman to get the new libraries, please download the latest xpdf files from CVS and try again to build xpdf.

#8 2007-01-23 09:24:47

laolang_cool

thank you, I have upgrade all relative package, but I got the same message:
g++ -march=i686 -O2 -pipe -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.. -I./../goo -I./../fofi -I./../splash -I. -I/usr/include/freetype2       -I/usr/include   -I/usr/include  -o pdfimages Annot.o Array.o BuiltinFont.o BuiltinFontTables.o Catalog.o CharCodeToUnicode.o CMap.o Decrypt.o Dict.o Error.o FontEncodingTables.o Function.o Gfx.o GfxFont.o GfxState.o GlobalParams.o ImageOutputDev.o JArithmeticDecoder.o JBIG2Stream.o JPXStream.o Lexer.o Link.o NameToCharCode.o Object.o Outline.o OutputDev.o Page.o Parser.o PDFDoc.o PDFDocEncoding.o PSTokenizer.o SecurityHandler.o Stream.o UnicodeMap.o XpdfPluginAPI.o XRef.o pdfimages.o
        -L../goo -lGoo -L../fofi -lfofi -L../goo -lGoo -lm
../goo/libGoo.a(gfile.o): In function `openTempFile(GString**, _IO_FILE**, char*, char*)':
gfile.cc:(.text+0x632): warning: the use of `tmpnam' is dangerous, better use `mkstemp'
mkdir -p /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/bin
/bin/install -c xpdf/pdftops /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/bin/pdftops
/bin/install -c xpdf/pdftotext /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/bin/pdftotext
/bin/install -c xpdf/pdfinfo /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/bin/pdfinfo
/bin/install -c xpdf/pdffonts /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/bin/pdffonts
/bin/install -c xpdf/pdfimages /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/bin/pdfimages
mkdir -p /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/man/man1
/bin/install -c -m 644 ./doc/pdftops.1 /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/man/man1/pdftops.1
/bin/install -c -m 644 ./doc/pdftotext.1 /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/man/man1/pdftotext.1
/bin/install -c -m 644 ./doc/pdfinfo.1 /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/man/man1/pdfinfo.1
/bin/install -c -m 644 ./doc/pdffonts.1 /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/man/man1/pdffonts.1
/bin/install -c -m 644 ./doc/pdfimages.1 /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/man/man1/pdfimages.1
mkdir -p /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/man/man5
/bin/install -c -m 644 ./doc/xpdfrc.5 /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/man/man5/xpdfrc.5
mkdir -p /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/etc
/bin/install -c -m 644 ./doc/sample-xpdfrc /var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/etc/xpdfrc
==> Removing info/doc files...
==> Compressing man pages...
==> Stripping debugging symbols from libraries...
==> Stripping symbols from binaries...
==> Generating .PKGINFO file...
==> Copying install script...
==> Generating .FILELIST file...
==> Compressing package...
==> Cleaning up...
==> Finished making: xpdf  (Tue Jan 23 17:22:52 PST 2007)

then I install it, it prompt:
loading package data... done.
checking for file conflicts... done.
upgrading xpdf... done.

--> the console based tools for pdf2* conversion are now in the poppler package

update desktop mime database.../var/lib/pacman/local/xpdf-3.01_pl2-8/install: line 10: update-desktop-database: command not found
done

now I run xpdf, and :
# xpdf
bash: xpdf: command not found.

I dont know what's wrong...

#9 2007-01-24 02:31:17

djscholl

I don't see the same error as before, only a warning. Therefore, you have made some progress. There are several basic things you can check in a case like this. The executable might not be there, or your shell might not be looking in the right place.

First, you need to see what files should be installed if the package builds and installs correctly. If you go to the Arch Linux home page, search for the xpdf package, and click on the "View File List"  link on the xpdf page, you get http://www.archlinux.org/packages/files/703/
In particular, "/usr/bin/xpdf" is important to know. Check whether there is an executable xpdf in the /usr/bin directory. If there is, try running it by supplying your shell with the full path:

# /usr/bin/xpdf

If this works, your PATH is broken. However, it seems that if you don't have /usr/bin in your PATH you will have more serious problems than not being able to run xpdf. PATH's that badly broken are starting to get beyond the scope of this forum. You can view your PATH with:

# echo $PATH

Somewhere in there, between two colons, there should be /usr/bin.

If there is no executable xpdf in your /usr/bin directory, check to see whether any of the other files in the xpdf package were installed where they are supposed to be. You could also check the contents of your package with:

# tar ztf xpdf-the-package-that-you-just-built.pkg.tar.gz

Does it contain the files it should contain, especially "usr/bin/xpdf"?

Also, even though you want to build your own xpdf package, you might try installing the Arch binary xpdf package temporarily, using

# pacman -S xpdf

just to see what happens. You can always uninstall it again with

# pacman -R xpdf

If you do this, you might also want to look in /var/cache/pacman/pkg and compare the size and contents of the Arch binary package you downloaded to the one you built. At this point, you are looking for clues anywhere you might find them.

#10 2007-01-25 11:22:53

laolang_cool

seems no these files:
1. usr/man/man1/xpdf.1.gz
2. usr/bin/xpdf

offical's xpdf runs well on my computer, but I want to compile it by myself...
follow is my own's package's contend:

tar -zxvf xpdf-3.01_pl2-8.pkg.tar.gz 
.PKGINFO
.FILELIST
.INSTALL
etc/
etc/xpdfrc
usr/
usr/bin/
usr/man/
usr/man/man1/
usr/man/man5/
usr/man/man5/xpdfrc.5.gz
usr/share/
usr/share/applications/
usr/share/applications/xpdf.desktop
usr/share/pixmaps/
usr/share/pixmaps/xpdf.xpm

thanks for your patient reply.

#11 2007-01-25 12:12:48

filoktetes

Just a note:
I worked a lot with making a xpdf package for Lowarch, and I found it extremely difficult to get a working package. I don't remember the exact issues right now, but most of the packages I had problems with had problems compiling with new versions og gcc and glibc.

Therefore I left it out. Are there any specific reasons you want xpdf? There are many much better pdf viewers around. I recomend epdfview if you need one that doesn't depend on gnome or kde.

#12 2007-01-25 20:40:13

Lone_Wolf

I just build the xpdf package through abs/makepkg without problems.

Check the /src/xpdf-3.01/xpdf folder, the xpdf executable is copied from that location to /usr/bin .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#13 2007-01-26 05:25:08

djscholl

I built the xpdf package from the files in CVS with no problem, like Lone_Wolf. Are you sure that the PKGBUILD and lesstif.patch from CVS were downloaded without errors? Those two are not protected by md5sums like the other downloads. The PKGBUILD contains some long lines, so are you sure that none of them were accidently broken during a copy-paste operation?
Just to clarify Lone_Wolf's suggestion slightly, taking your build location from your post above, look in the
/var/abs/local/office/xpdf/src/xpdf-3.01/xpdf
directory for the xpdf binary.
If it's not there, that suggests a compilation issue.
If it's there, check the
/var/abs/local/office/xpdf/pkg/usr/bin
directory for the xpdf binary.
If it's not there, that suggests an issue with the build script.
If it's there, but isn't getting put into the tarball, that suggests an issue with the makepkg script.

I don't have a sensible suggestion for why one of the man pages is getting into the tarball and the other is not. That is handled by the makefile, and the two lines that handle those two files look the same to me (the second one is the one that apparently worked). You could try copying the CVS files and other downloads into a different location, and building the package as a different user, just to see if anything different happens. If you have fakeroot working, any non-root user should be able to build a valid package anywhere. There isn't much evidence to work with, but if I was feeling lucky, I would check for a garbled PKGBUILD first.

Board footer