You are not logged in.

#1 2023-02-24 18:45:10

quequotion
Website

Don't delete ido-ubuntu just yet (still working on mailing list reply)

See this comment on its AUR page.

I was really quite surprised to get a notification that a deletion request had been made with no attempt from the person who made it to contact me.

Not that this is a super-important package, but research needs to be done.

PS: I understand the mailing lists have upgraded to python3; has anything changed about how to reply to a thread (before I make a mess like last time)?

#2 2023-02-24 18:49:38

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Don't delete ido-ubuntu just yet (still working on mailing list reply)

A mailing list is just a mailing list - use any mail client, python is irrelevant.

But you'll need to reply there as it's highly unlikely that the relevant people will see your post here.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2023-02-24 19:53:52

quequotion
Website

Trilby wrote:

A mailing list is just a mailing list - use any mail client, python is irrelevant.

But you'll need to reply there as it's highly unlikely that the relevant people will see your post here.

Indeed.

My concern is that last time I tried to reply to an archlinux mailing list (to contribute to pacman) I needed to specify "In-Reply-To" to have my response attributed to the correct thread.

I tried numerous mail clients over several days, accidentally starting several new threads and being ridiculed for my incompetence, until I finally discovered that git is capable of sending emails with this header specified; it still wasn't pretty: git did weird things to my text (or maybe I did, due to the incompetence, without being aware of it) for which I was chided as well.

It would be nice if the wiki made some mention of this, assuming it is still a thing, and provided some suggestions of whatever mail clients people use that support "In-Reply-To" because I had a very difficult time finding a functional one (even several clients that purported to be able to be configured for it, like Thunderbird, in fact failed).

This is outside the scope of this thread, however, which is a shot in the dark while I continue to look for a better option to reply to that thread in the mailing list.

#4 2023-02-24 20:43:19

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

It just works in mutt. smile

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2023-05-28 00:01:31

quequotion
Website

jasonwryan wrote:

It just works in mutt. smile

I apologize for the late bump, but by "just works" do you mean I need to:

1. Download the entire archive of the mailing list to get the message-id of the specific discussion thread to which I must reply (tried downloading just the discussion itself from hyperkitty, not sure if the number indicated is that message-id).

2. Install and configure mutt (to use my gmail account; probably got that done; nope, going to have to jump through at least a dozen more hoops to get mutt and gmail to cooperate with each other)

3. Type out an email in mutt, somehow manually specifying to include the In-Reply-To field, wherein I shall place the message-id of the thread I wish to reply to?

Luckily the last one got taken care of, but yes, I have another invalid deletion request to dispute.

Last edited by quequotion (2023-05-28 00:16:10)

#6 2023-05-28 11:46:12

Lone_Wolf

When reading messages from arch mailing lists, thunderbird both shows "Reply" and a "Reply to List" button. The latter includes the thread-id in the header when used.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer