You are not logged in.

#1 2023-02-26 15:06:06

whalien

my laptop suddenly has no sound.

This afternoon while I was watching youtube, my laptop suddenly has no sound. I don't knwo what happened and searched on google and stack exchange but couldn't find a solution.
Here is the output of `pactl info | grep "Server Name"Server` which I've found on reddit:

Server Name: pulseaudio

And following is an excerpt of `journalctl -b` which I think might be relevant:
start up
could not load

I'm totally a newbie on arch, so I even don't know where to start to figure out what's wrong with it.
At first, I attempt to reinstall pulseaduio, but it turns out that serveral other packages are also dependent on this package. I have read the wiki about pulseaudio, the wiki page are all about configuration files instead of troubleshooting or recovery.
Thus, what should I do to figure out what's wrong?

Any advice on figuring out what's wrong are welcome.

#2 2023-02-26 15:13:18

whalien

Re: my laptop suddenly has no sound.

Besides, I'm sure my hardware and sound card work well, as my laptop has dual systems. When I boot windows, it works very well.

#3 2023-02-26 15:47:04

whalien

Re: my laptop suddenly has no sound.

Sorry, it's my fault. The Troubleshoot section of PulseAudio in Arch wiki has already solved my problem. It seems that it's my chrome which was muted somehow. So the solution is:

Arch Wiki wrote:

If a specific application is muted or low while all else seems to be in order, it may be due to individual sink-input settings. With the offending application playing audio, run:

pacmd list-sink-inputs

Find and make note of the index of the corresponding sink input. The properties: application.name and application.process.binary, among others, should help here. Ensure sane settings are present, specifically those of muted and volume. If the sink is muted, it can be unmuted by:

pacmd set-sink-input-mute <index> false

In case some of you might have the some problem, following is another post might help(it has the same journal log as mine, but not solved my problem):
kmix not starting at log-in

Last edited by whalien (2023-02-26 15:48:14)

Board footer