You are not logged in.

#1 2023-03-07 21:20:46

go4linux

Automount triggered by pool. What the hell is pool?

I have made my nice systemd automount file to mount my /home/user/server directory, and I see in journalctl this message:

Got automount request for /home/user/server, triggered by 1459 (pool)

Basically the same problem that is described here, except that in my case it's every time:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1123341 … -automount

I created another service that is required by my automount to do a ps -ef when the automunt is triggered, and I can tell that there is no pool process running and no process with id 1459.
Anybody has an idea of what this pool is?

Last edited by go4linux (2023-03-07 21:21:14)

#2 2023-03-08 07:39:56

seth

Re: Automount triggered by pool. What the hell is pool?

% pacman -F pool
extra/tracker3-docs
    usr/share/doc/Tracker/html/assets/js/search/pool
community/plan9port
    usr/lib/plan9/acid/pool
community/strongswan
    usr/lib/strongswan/pool

=> strongswan?

#3 2023-03-08 08:20:56

3beb6e7c46a615a

Note a "pool" process doesn't have to correspond to a "pool" executable.  The process name can be overridden, and depending on what systemd actually logs here it could also just be the name of a thread of some application, and thread names can be chosen arbitrarily by applications.

Chasing down the root cause of this pool thing may turn out to be a wild-goose chase.  Depending on your desktop environment, a lot of things may routinely scan your entire home directory.  Gnome's tracker does, KDE probably has a similar indexer, Dropbox does too, as far as I know, etc.

It may be easier to just move the mountpoint to e.g. /mnt/server, away from your home directory.

#4 2023-03-08 08:31:00

seth

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Audit_ … ies_access

Though

a lot of things may routinely scan your entire home directory

is certainly true for modern DEs and their indexers, those can typically be configured to exclude paths.

#5 2023-03-08 11:53:52

go4linux

lunaryorn wrote:

Note a "pool" process doesn't have to correspond to a "pool" executable.  The process name can be overridden, and depending on what systemd actually logs here it could also just be the name of a thread of some application, and thread names can be chosen arbitrarily by applications.

Chasing down the root cause of this pool thing may turn out to be a wild-goose chase.  Depending on your desktop environment, a lot of things may routinely scan your entire home directory.  Gnome's tracker does, KDE probably has a similar indexer, Dropbox does too, as far as I know, etc.

It may be easier to just move the mountpoint to e.g. /mnt/server, away from your home directory.

I actually didn't know about overriding the process name. I still wonder what that number is, it doesn't seem to  be the process id.
I can mount in a different directory, although I was thinking of making a user specific share. But can I be sure then that no  process will  go through that directory? I am starting to have doubts.
I mean, at the end it's not so bad that the thing is mounted a little too soon, although I wouldn't like it to happen. But I am not happy with a process going through my network share.

seth wrote:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Audit_ … ies_access

Though

a lot of things may routinely scan your entire home directory

is certainly true for modern DEs and their indexers, those can typically be configured to exclude paths.

Yes, I would like to exclude that directory. If I can find out what that process is :-)
Thanks for the audit tip, I will look at it

Board footer