You are not logged in.

#1 2023-03-08 16:09:38

ThoughtCriminal

[SOLVED]ewer video games are unresponsive, gets stuck at black scr

Greetings and salutations,

I have been using Arch for a while now, and I am having issues playing newer video games. The problem first occurred last year, when Elden Ring were released. Didn't think much of it, since I borrowed it through family sharing on steam.

Since, I tried other games, that I wanted to play on my arch installation. First off, let me post my specs:
AMD 5700 XT
AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
64 GB RAM
Linux 6.2.2 (normal Linux kernel)
Usually Gnome on Wayland, but for the sake of elimination, switched to KDE on X11.

I've read through the Gaming guide on the wiki, and made sure to install AMD and vulkan dependencies.

Reading through the wiki pages for AMDGPU, I've made sure to install the amd drivers:

➜  ~ pacman -Qs amd
local/amd-ucode 20230210.bf4115c-1
    Microcode update image for AMD CPUs
local/amdvlk 2022.Q4.4-3
    AMD's standalone Vulkan driver
local/lib32-amdvlk 2022.Q4.4-3
local/libteam 1.31-7
    Library for controlling team network device
local/xf86-video-amdgpu 23.0.0-1 (xorg-drivers)
    X.org amdgpu video driver

And vulkan page:

➜  ~ pacman -Qs vulkan
local/amdvlk 2022.Q4.4-3
local/lib32-amdvlk 2022.Q4.4-3
local/lib32-vulkan-icd-loader 1.3.240-1
    Vulkan Installable Client Driver (ICD) Loader (32-bit)
local/spirv-tools 2022.4-1 (vulkan-devel)
    API and commands for processing SPIR-V modules
local/vulkan-icd-loader 1.3.240-1
    Vulkan Installable Client Driver (ICD) Loader
local/vulkan-radeon 22.3.6-1
    Radeon's Vulkan mesa driver
local/vulkan-tools 1.3.240-1 (vulkan-devel)
    Vulkan Utilities and Tools

The games, currently, that I am having issues with are:

Hogwarts Legacy
It launches, displays the initial "Warning, read before playing", stays there for a long time, before going black, initial audio and returned to log in screen on KDE.
On KDE, it launches on the wrong monitor, but oh well. Nearly the same result as GNOME, besides gnome keep telling me that it crashed.
Where I've tried:

• Different proton versions through steam (not proton GE, which I tried on other games with the same result)

• Different launch parameters, latest disabling ESYNC and RADV_PERFTEST=gpl (exclusively, not combined)

Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered
This one completes all the initial intro fluff and commercials, but when it gets to the main menu (I believe), the monitor remains on, but the picture is completely black.

• Different proton versions through steam (not proton GE, which I tried on other games with the same result)

• Different launch parameters, latest disabling ESYNC and RADV_PERFTEST=gpl (exclusively, not combined)

Bonus: Any Ubisoft game
Since any Ubisoft game requires their client, Ubisoft Connect, I had some interesting issues here, on both my steam deck and PC (described above).
When launching the client, it first asks for my login, which I provide. Then it asks for 2FA codes. Then it tries to login for a while after which it ends up with a "Connection lost" message.

Common for both of these games, are that both work without an issue on my Steam deck. I have tried, for both of them, different driver installations, attempted to research missing packages or configurations, but keep coming up empty handed.

Am I possibly missing drivers?
Some configuration that I am missing?

Lastly, but not least, I am missing a Linux Gaming resource. Anyone got good hints where to search for similar issues and help other people out?

EDIT (PS):
In a desperate attempt, I turned off freesync on my monitor. No change in behavior.

Last edited by ThoughtCriminal (2023-03-08 20:33:43)

#2 2023-03-08 16:38:53

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED]ewer video games are unresponsive, gets stuck at black scr

Remove amdvlk and lib32-amdvlk and install lib32-vulkan-radeon instead. They install a broken pseudo loader forcing things to it while not actually implementing a bunch of features DXVK/VKD3D woulld need.

Last edited by V1del (2023-03-08 16:42:45)

#3 2023-03-08 19:34:42

ThoughtCriminal

Thank you. This resolved my issue.
Had to execute with --nodeps flags, since Steam were a peer dependency on both:

pacman -Rs amdvlk lib32-amdvlk --nodeps --nodeps

Broken reference maybe? idk. Resolved anyhoot.

#4 2023-03-08 19:58:46

V1del
Forum Moderator

installing lib32-radeon-vulkan and then removing amdvlk would have worked without bypassing dep checks as steam "simply" mandates some form of a vulkan provider for 32bit. But the logical end result is the same. Please mark as [SOLVED] by editing the title in your first post, so that others know the issue could get fixed.

Board footer