You are not logged in.

#1 2023-03-22 07:40:48

Texbrew

[Solved]Forum Password Reset Issue

For about the past 18 months, whenever I attempt to login to this forum, my password errors out, I try again, errors out. Request a new password, copy/paste it from the email, login successfully, go to profile, change password successfully. The next login errors out.

Wash, rinse, repeat. Are some ASCII  characters not allowed in passwords?

Ideas as to why this is happening?

Although my use of the same password for years is not best practice, it's what I do here on the forum.

Last edited by Texbrew (2023-03-22 23:33:51)

#2 2023-03-22 09:38:15

mpan
Website

Re: [Solved]Forum Password Reset Issue

Not observed on my end and does not seem to be reported on the forum in the past years. Leads me to the conclusion, that either something fails on your browser’s end or the forum fails on some very rare condition (but why would it be so rare among 100k users?).

Is it possible, that your password manager — either the browser’s built-in one or external — is storing or passing an invalid value? Could the password manager be overriding, what you want to actually input? Can you test with the passphrase typed manually with with any automatic features disabled?

These going for years could be weird, but is it possible stale/invalid cookies are at play? Are you using any protection software, which could intercept requests and either modify them or interfere with responses? Any privacy add-ons that could go too aggressive with request cleanup or cookie control?⁽¹⁾

What is the exact character set used for the passphrase generation? Try with plain [A-Za-z0-9], no “special characters”.
____
⁽¹⁾ I am perfectly fine with you using them and keep doing so. But the situation must be addressed, if they cause this kind of a malfunction.

Last edited by mpan (2023-03-22 09:39:42)

Sometimes I seem a bit harsh — don’t get offended too easily!

#3 2023-03-22 14:42:49

ewaller
Administrator

There has been no activity on the help desk on this topic from anyone.  No one has contacted me directly about this, and your post seems to be the only mention of this,
The dominant password issue we have is email systems that drop our forum mail.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2023-03-22 15:04:07

seth

copy/paste it from the email, login successfully, go to profile, change password successfully. The next login errors out.

How do you enter the password in the other cases?
Is it the *exact* same type of entrance for changing and later using the password?

1. fat fingers
2. wrong keyboard layout
3. broken keyboard

#5 2023-03-22 15:37:06

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Two good diagnostic tests that you have not mentioned conducting are 1) whether entering the generated email password by typing it in rather than copy/pasting works (related to set's point above), and 2) whether changing your password to something very mundane (even the auto-generated emailed password itself) allows the next login to work.

The fact that you ask whether some ascii characters are not allowed suggests that perhaps your preferred password has some "interesting" characters.  So test 2 is particularly relevant: try a "boring" password (as a diagnostic test, not a long-term solution).  If a "borning" password works, but your preferred password doesn't, then clearly the problem is with some of the password characters, and then you could narrow down just which one/s is/are the problem.  If a "boring" password also fails, the problem elsewhere (in the space test 1 and seth's comment are targetting).

While I've not looked at the fluxBB code, I'd confidently wager that some ascii characters are not allowed.  Specifically, I suspect any characters below hex value 0x20 could cause trouble.

Last edited by Trilby (2023-03-22 15:40:07)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2023-03-22 23:19:40

Texbrew

Update: Will mark this thread [Solved].

Today I have logged in twice using the password from my handwritten list, the forum password I have used since early days, with no error.

@mpan Thank you for your feedback. In the Noscript addon, archlinux.org is marked as Trusted. uBlock Origin shows 0 items blocked, 1 domain connected.

@ewaller Thank you, sir.

@seth I suppose the fault is mine, "fat fingers". SMH!!! The really irritating part is that it has happened repeatedly so many times.

@Trilby Thanks. I checked my password against an ASCII chart. All characters are greater than hex 0x20.

Thanks and apologies, all.

#7 2023-03-23 14:16:02

ewaller
Administrator

Texbrew,  By the way... good to see you back around these parts. smile

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#8 2023-03-23 23:04:10

Texbrew

ewaller wrote:

Texbrew,  By the way... good to see you back around these parts. smile

Hat Tip; It's good to be back. Of course I have lurked and searched for solutions to my own breakages here.

Board footer