You are not logged in.

#1 2023-03-29 20:38:42

umi

[SOLVED] System keeps hibernating unless I press the enter key.

Whenever I hibernate (using sudo systemctl hibernate) and then resume, my system keeps hibernating unless I press the enter key. It doesn't happen instantly and I have bit of time to use my system before it reenters hibernation. I noticed that my windows key also doesn't work unless I press enter. I am not entirely sure if the hibernation is triggered by a specific action. I think it triggers after I start typing in librewolf, but I am not entirely sure if that is just a coincidence, I would have to do more tests. In short, until after my system resumes from a hibernation, it will keep looping into hibernation unless I press the enter key. Here is what I did recently:

I configured hibernation by following the wiki page here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Power_ … _initramfs
I added the resume to HOOKS in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and added resume=/dev/nvme0n1p2 to my kernel parameters. I made sure to regenerate the initramfs and grub.cfg I am certain that the partition in the kernel parameter is correct.
I am using a 34GB swap partition and have 32 GB of RAM.

Here are the relevant journalctl logs: https://pastebin.com/Uh2SnczH
As you can see, I did a few tests and let my system hibernate multiple times. Since my screen is still open for a period of time before entering hibernation, I decided to record the time when I would press the enter key in case I could see it reflected in journalctl, but that wasn't the case. Nothing appears in the journalctl at that time. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Edit 1: I did a few more tests and it seems that it triggers whenever I press on specific keys. I am fairly certain the 'a' key instantly puts my system into hibernation. However, if I hold the windows key while typing, the characters get typed out perfectly fine. It looks like the windows key might not be disabled after all...

Edit 2: Ok that was quick. I figured it out. This is a part of my i3 config file and I was using those keybinds to hibernate: https://pastebin.com/YLd7GUPg
Turns out that when my system resumes, i3 is still in the exit mode (although I am still not quite sure why 'a' is also causing my system to hibernate). However I would like to know if there is a better way to suspend my system using the same kind of keybinds? I know how to prevent my system from rehibernating, but it would be annoying if from time to time I would forget to press enter or escape and then I would have to go through the booting process again. Also, should I marked this as solved and move my new question in another section?

Last edited by umi (2023-03-30 11:17:46)

#2 2023-03-30 06:43:03

seth

Re: [SOLVED] System keeps hibernating unless I press the enter key.

Also, should I marked this as solved and move my new question in another section?

Yes. There's a wall of now pointless text and the subject doesn't fit.

Board footer