You are not logged in.

#1 2023-04-10 15:50:45

mbw

[Solved] Cannot mount Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) WiFi

I am trying to connect my Kindle Paperwhite via USB, but am unable to.

The cable is a micro-USB cable of which I know for a fact I have used it in the past to mount and backup my Android device, so it should be a data cable.
To be on the safe side, I've ordered a new one, which will take a few days to arrive however.

When I plug in the device and am tailing dmesg via

sudo journalctl -k -f

, nothing is displayed.
Earlier today, there would be shown something like

usb 1-6: new low-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd

But after a reboot a few minutes ago, all these entries seem to be gone(???) and I am unable to reproduce this.

All of

mtp-detect

lsusb

, and

lsblk

do not pick up on anything new after the cable is plugged in.
I also cannot find anything kindle-related out under /dev/disk/by-id/.

I am unable to find out the serial number of my device, since the "Device Info" menu option does not seem to exist for me.
It is however this one.

Edit 3: Found out the serial number in the meantime and updated the title.

I also tried

sudo modprobe msdos

and (shortly) playing around with "ums", since these are things I have seen briefly mentioned in other threads.

Edit: I just noticed that the device has spontaneously decided to go into "USB Drive Mode".
Now I have an entry

Apr 10 18:02:40 legion kernel: usb 1-3: new high-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd

too.
Still, no idea on how to mount this thing.

Edit2: I found another kindle which is even older. This one actually shows up as block device and I was able to successfully mount it.
So it could be the other device is plain broken, or requires some different method.

Last edited by mbw (2023-04-15 11:01:19)

#2 2023-04-13 06:21:49

walkingstickfan

Re: [Solved] Cannot mount Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) WiFi

You might consider editing your post and correcting the spelling error in the title; e.g. Kinde should be Kindle.

Arch Linux with Openbox & Tint2

#3 2023-04-13 11:00:18

mbw

walkingstickfan wrote:

You might consider editing your post and correcting the spelling error in the title; e.g. Kinde should be Kindle.

Thanks, I missed that.

#4 2023-04-15 11:01:01

mbw

Ok, apparently it works now, having tried with the new USB data cable I ordered.
I am not sure if it's due to the cable, or if the device is just "flaky", but I don't see any reason to investigate further either.

#5 2023-04-15 11:48:57

sydneyj

I've been using Paperwhites for years, and they do have a persistent problem of not mounting to the OS.  Usually, that can be remedied by a reboot of the system, although I have replaced cables several times, as well.  It appears to me that Kindle is the best of a bad lot of ebook readers.  The Kindle software was written by a five-year-old.  Next time you have the problem, try a reboot first, and you should be able to mount.

Board footer