You are not logged in.

#1 2023-04-13 21:06:07

Velkee

Having problems with logging in with SDDM to Plasma (Wayland)

At some point in the recent months, logging into a Wayland Plasma session with SDDM stopped working for me. When I try to log in, the screen goes black and does not get sent back to SDDM or sent to a desktop view. I was able to switch TTY using CTRL+ALT+F3 and tried manually starting Plasma, but that also didn't work. Of note is that TTY 2 showed a cursor with a black background, and switching to TTY 1 after switching to 2 or 3 made the system unresponsive.
The only hint I could get to what might be wrong is that the journal log file was filled with an error that said kscreen's configuration couldn't be loaded correctly.

I can recreate the issue easily so I can attach a log if needed, but I'm unsure what parts would need to be included in order to track down the issue.

#2 2023-04-13 22:17:52

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Having problems with logging in with SDDM to Plasma (Wayland)

Create the issue, post

sudo journalctl -b

after https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/General_guidelines , is this on/with an nvidia card or so? Another common candidate is a weird interaction with glibc causing a plasma config file ( ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc ) to become corrupted, might want to check it for an obviously bogus key, remove the file (which will lose all your plasma/panel config)

#3 2023-04-14 13:39:40

Velkee

Here's my journalctl output

I am using an Nvidia graphics card with the latest nvidia-open-dkms package and the linux-zen kernel. Headers are installed and DRM modeset is set to true.

A quick look-over of the plasma config file didn't seem to reveal anything wrong at the moment, but it is extremely long.

Last edited by Velkee (2023-04-14 13:41:13)

#4 2023-04-16 19:16:00

Velkee

I've tried removing ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc, but the issue persisted. I've also now tried installing nvidia-dkms instead of the nvidia-open-dkms package, but that also didn't fix the issue.
Both GBM and kwin_wayland are giving errors in the journal. GBM gives warning related to unimplemented features, and then warns that an atomic commit failed.

#5 2023-04-17 13:13:47

V1del
Forum Moderator

Do you explicitly export the environment variables to enable GBM? There have been some reports of those creating issues, so remove those exports and let the defaults figure things out. Since there's a bunch of kscreen crashing maybe also remove/rename ~/.local/share/kscreen

#6 2023-04-18 21:17:25

Velkee

Had GBM explicitly enabled in /etc/environment, tried removing it but no luck. Removing ~/.local/share/kscreen also did not seem to fix the issue.

Board footer