You are not logged in.

#1 2023-04-25 09:44:30

Primelog

I'm having trouble installing Arch Linux on my HP laptop, model "15-bw

Hi there!

I'm having trouble installing Arch Linux on my HP laptop, model "15-bw625ur". Specifically, I'm encountering a reboot issue during the loading process and can't access the installation console.

The version of Arch Linux I'm using is 2023.03.01.

Here are the specifications:

Screen size/resolution: 15.6"/1366x768 pixels.
Processor: AMD A9 9420 3 GHz.
RAM: 8 GB.
Graphics controller: Radeon R5.
HDD capacity: 256 GB.

Here are the steps I'm taking:

1.Creating a bootable flash drive with Arch Linux.
2.Booting from the flash drive.
3.Selecting the "Arch Linux Install" option from the bootloader menu.
4.After the system loads, the computer reboots.
The error I'm receiving is that the computer reboots during the loading process (before getting to the installation console).
I would appreciate any help in solving this issue! Thank you.

#2 2023-04-25 09:59:46

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: I'm having trouble installing Arch Linux on my HP laptop, model "15-bw

Try whether you get further and/or see more messages when adding nomodeset and/or debug to the kernel parameters: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Kernel … figuration

#3 2023-04-25 10:14:50

Primelog

V1del wrote:

Try whether you get further and/or see more messages when adding nomodeset and/or debug to the kernel parameters: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Kernel … figuration

I'm not very good at Arch Linux and I don't understand what I need to do. Can you explain it in more detail?

#4 2023-04-25 11:58:46

Primelog

V1del wrote:

Please

#5 2023-04-25 12:01:52

V1del
Forum Moderator

I linked a link with note boxes, read them. You need to adjust the kernel parameters that the ISO starts the kernel with, if this is an UEFI boot and thus systemd-boot you'd press "e" on the entry and add nomodeset to the end of that line or press "tab" and add that same parameter if it is a BIOS boot. Which of the two modes it is depends on your system/which selection you make while selecting the USB to boot from.

Last edited by V1del (2023-04-25 12:03:22)

#6 2023-04-26 06:17:22

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Is SecureBoot disabled? The Arch live ISO does not support SecureBoot.

#7 2023-06-02 09:49:32

Primelog

Dear Arch Linux Support Team,

I hope this message finds you well. I am reaching out to seek assistance with installing Arch Linux on my HP Laptop 15-bw0xx. I have encountered an issue during the installation process, specifically when attempting to boot from the live USB flash drive.

Here's the problem I am facing: After selecting the live USB option from the boot menu, the initial Arch Linux loading screen appears. However, at some point during the loading process, my laptop abruptly restarts, preventing me from successfully installing Arch Linux.

I have tried various troubleshooting steps, such as verifying the integrity of the ISO file and recreating the live USB using different tools, but the issue persists. I have also made sure that my laptop's BIOS is up to date.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance or suggestions you can provide to help me overcome this obstacle and successfully install Arch Linux on my HP Laptop. If there are any specific settings or configurations I should try, please let me know. Additionally, if there are any known compatibility issues with Arch Linux and the HP Laptop 15-bw0xx model, I would like to be aware of them.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your prompt response and assistance.

Best regards,
Primelog

#8 2023-06-02 10:18:46

V1del
Forum Moderator

If you don't even get to the menu for selecting to start the kernel, this is most likely Secure Boot preventing the launch, make sure secure boot is disabled, the ISO doesn't support it (you can set up and configure your install to use secure boot though, if desired)

#9 2023-06-04 15:24:37

Primelog

Dear Arch Linux Support Team,

I hope this message finds you well. I am reaching out to seek assistance with installing Arch Linux on my HP Laptop 15-bw0xx. I have encountered an issue during the installation process, specifically when attempting to boot from the live USB flash drive.

Here's the problem I am facing: After selecting the live USB option from the boot menu, the initial Arch Linux loading screen appears. However, at some point during the loading process, my laptop abruptly restarts, preventing me from successfully installing Arch Linux.

I have tried various troubleshooting steps, such as verifying the integrity of the ISO file and recreating the live USB using different tools, but the issue persists. I have also made sure that my laptop's BIOS is up to date.

Secure boot is disabled.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance or suggestions you can provide to help me overcome this obstacle and successfully install Arch Linux on my HP Laptop. If there are any specific settings or configurations I should try, please let me know. Additionally, if there are any known compatibility issues with Arch Linux and the HP Laptop 15-bw0xx model, I would like to be aware of them.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your prompt response and assistance.

Best regards,
Primelog

#10 2023-06-04 15:39:21

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

You already have a topic about this, I'm not sure what possessed you to create two more, but please don't do that.

Closing, for deletion.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#11 2023-06-04 15:40:46

ewaller
Administrator

I checked the specifications of that machine.  Although the specifications are somewhat modest, I see no reason it should not boot Arch Linux.
Can you try your live USB on another system just to see if it will boot?  It won't do anything to change that system -- although secure boot will need to be off.

The only time I have ever encountered the symptoms you describe have been when bringing up embedded systems with an inadequate power supply.  About the time the kernel spins up multiple cores there is an current spike.  Somehow I don't think this is applicable here,

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#12 2023-06-04 15:42:36

ewaller
Administrator

Looks like WorMzy and I both active at the same time and picked on different thread.  As we have now closed both, I'll reopen this one.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#13 2023-06-04 15:53:37

schard
Forum Moderator
Website

Possible duplicate of this: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=286214
which in turn is a possible duplicate of this: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=285319
So the OP actually posted the same thread four times.

macro_rules! yolo { { $($tokens:tt)* } => { unsafe { $($tokens)* } }; }

#14 2023-06-04 16:21:57

seth

at some point during the loading process, my laptop abruptly restarts

CPU, RAM or power supply.

Make sure to use the AC adapter, enter the BIOS and select the most conservative settings for RAM and CPU possible.
Also try to boot w/ "nomodeset", but I've little hope when there's an abrupt reboot.

#15 2023-06-04 16:41:12

ewaller
Administrator

schard wrote:

Possible duplicate of this: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=286214
which in turn is a possible duplicate of this: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=285319
So the OP actually posted the same thread four times.

Ugh.   Merged all of these into one giant ball of crud.

Primelog.  Please do not open multiple threads on the same topic again.   You should consider this a warning.

Edit:  Thanks Schard

Last edited by ewaller (2023-06-04 16:41:58)

---

Board footer