You are not logged in.

#1 2023-05-29 02:32:45

TimSousa

general stuttering and framerate drops

I've been experiencing severe stuttering ever since I got into arch linux. I'm running GNOME (and GDM) on X11.
I'll provide any logs that could prove useful
here's a short slow motion video showing the issue.
As you can probably see, the frame rate seems to drop significantly seemingly randomly..

here's the output of xrandr -q
my Xorg Log might also prove useful

back when I was using linuxmint I remember adding something like

CLUTTER_DEFAULT_FPS=240
__GL_SYNC_DISPLAY_DEVICE=DP-1-1

to /etc/environment
I can't quite remeber if it 100% fixed the issue, but I remember that when I dragged the windows around they lagged a lot and that fixed it
The stuttering was only present when using the iGPU.
But on my arch installation I'm using my GPU as the output of nvidia-smi suggests
Here's the output of journalctl -S 2023-5-29
thanks in advance for all the help!

#2 2023-05-29 07:24:03

seth

Re: general stuttering and framerate drops

But on my arch installation I'm using my GPU as the output of nvidia-smi suggests

No, doesn't.
nvidia-smi lists xorg because it's available for prime, the xorg log shows you're running on the IGP (as will eg. "glxinfo -B")
But __GL_SYNC_DISPLAY_DEVICE is an nvidia-specific variable, so maybe you were running on the nvidia chip back then?

There're three outputs, two @240Hz, one at 60Hz
HDMI-1-0 and DP-1-1 are attached to the nvidia GPU and available through reverse prime (HDMI-1-0 is the 60Hz one)

For a basic test, what happens if you use the internal display only?

#3 2023-05-29 13:44:12

TimSousa

Using only the built-in display everything's pretty smooth
As you said the iGPU is the one taking care of the display as the output of glxinfo -B suggests
With the monitors plugged in the stuttering comes back, as usual.

#4 2023-05-29 13:46:49

seth

Try to DISable https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PRIME# … ronization
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PRIME# … erse_PRIME

And test the behavior w/ something that's not gnome to see whether the problem is the driver or mutter.

Edit: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 7#p2100007

Last edited by seth (2023-05-29 13:48:42)

#5 2023-05-29 19:04:21

TimSousa

At first I assumed I'd run those commands on a terminal emulator. Pretty weird issues occurred (running it for DP-1-1 would make the video on DP-1-1 to only update when I moved the mouse and running it for HDMI-1-0 would turn off both monitors), so I assumed I'd have to logout and log back in for the changes to be correctly applied.
And so I did..
but when I checked the output of xrandr --prop again, PRIME Sync was back on.

I then tried adding xrandr --output DP-1-1 --set "PRIME Synchronization" 0 to /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default (for both DP-1-1 and HDMI-1-0) so that the command is ran right after login.
That though, just resulted in a black screen (on the built-in display) and both the monitors shutting down.

I went to tty(2?) and removed the corresponding line on /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default

Here are the logs:
Xorg Log
journalctl -b

EDIT: Also, running vkcube for more than 15 seconds freezes my computer and the only way to recover is to hard reset it since I can't even get to a tty

Last edited by TimSousa (2023-05-29 19:23:13)

#6 2023-05-29 20:03:38

seth

At first I assumed I'd run those commands on a terminal emulator. Pretty weird issues occurred (running it for DP-1-1 would make the video on DP-1-1 to only update when I moved the mouse and running it for HDMI-1-0 would turn off both monitors)

No that's actually all correct and the outcome (cursor-dependent update) unfortunate.

Did you see the last link I posted? This seems a known regression in mutter, try not-gnome (eg. openbox) to see whether the same issue occurs there and if not, wait for gnome to get fixed.

#7 2023-05-29 23:40:29

TimSousa

I'll spend some time on Qtile before drawing any conclusions and keep you updated, but so far it seems the issue persists, although more subtle.
It seems to only happen when hovering over interactible/clickable/animated elements
Here's a short video showing the effect
If you jump over to ~30s you can see that the framerate drops significantly when hovering over the icon, though some stuttering is still noticeable throughout the video

EDIT: Weird.. I'm getting random occasional 1-5 second freezes
Also.. firefox takes around 30 seconds to open (unless I already have one instance running) not that it might be related, just thought I'd let you know
After a quick search it seems like it has something to do with a dbus timeout — not sure what could be causing it, though

Last edited by TimSousa (2023-05-30 02:16:20)

#8 2023-05-30 07:32:14

seth

Also.. firefox takes around 30 seconds to open (unless I already have one instance running) not that it might be related, just thought I'd let you know
After a quick search it seems like it has something to do with a dbus timeout — not sure what could be causing it, though

https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x8 … tal-gnome/ causes that outside gnome, you'd have to remove the package, replace it w/ the gtk version or mask the service (it's a flatpak thing)

It seems to only happen when hovering over interactible/clickable/animated elements

Might be specific to the UI element, some IO timeout - is it also present w/ only the internal monitor used?

#9 2023-05-30 10:56:10

TimSousa

the xdg-desktop-portal.service doesn't seem to be running - It shows up as failed to start as the output of systemctl --user --type=service suggests
The stuttering issue does not seem to happen when using only the internal monitor

EDIT: the service DOES start when running gnome
Also, on Gnome classic the isse is the same as qtile's
So it's probably the same issue and not mutter-related?

Last edited by TimSousa (2023-05-30 11:06:59)

#10 2023-05-30 13:52:04

seth

Please post your complete system journal for the boot:

sudo journalctl -b | curl -F 'f:1=<-' ix.io

But wrt https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=285590 I'm pretty sure it's https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x8 … tal-gnome/

So it's probably the same issue and not mutter-related?

xdg-desktop-portal-gnome or the stutter? The original stutter or the one you then experienced w/ qtile?
Try the behavior w/ openbox on X11.

#11 2023-05-30 22:12:34

TimSousa

Yep! Removing that package fixed the issue.

seth wrote:

xdg-desktop-portal-gnome or the stutter? The original stutter or the one you then experienced w/ qtile?

I was reffering to the stutter. Since it was present on both gnome and qtile (and gnome classic) I assumed it shouldn't be related to mutter.
I have since tried openbox. Seems like the issue persists.
Here's the output of journalctl -b

#12 2023-06-04 14:05:23

TimSousa

Do you think making all the monitors use the dGPU could help with the issue? maybe those two variables I referred to earlier could than work and solve the issue?
Is the issue with prime sync solvable? is there a way to disable it without those weird issues I was having?
Thanks for all the help so far!

#13 2023-06-04 14:10:54

seth

You cannot make the outputs "run on the GPU" unless
a) you can physically attach them there (which is gonna be tough w/ the internal display…)
b) you can deactivate the IGP in the UEFI

What if you only skip the 60Hz output (HDMI-1-0) or run all outputs on 60Hz?

Board footer