You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-08 02:24:59

ChrisX

Remotely view output on a separate Linux console

I am wondering if anybody knows of a way to view output on one Linux console from another Linux console.  Here is an example.  I have an Arch Linux desktop machine and a server machine.  I usually use my server remotely through ssh to compile software.  Some software takes forever to compile, and I will go somewhere to work on something.  I then remotely login from another machine, but I want to see the output from the compiling that is being output to my desktop at home.  Does anybody know of a way to grab that output so I can view it from a new console session?

-Chris

#2 2007-01-08 03:17:13

nogoma

Re: Remotely view output on a separate Linux console

GNU screen is fantastic for stuff like this. There are plenty of forum threads out there that talk about setting it up and configuring it (this is a good place to start).[/url]

-nogoma
---
Code Happy, Code Ruby!
http://www.last.fm/user/nogoma/

#3 2007-01-08 03:35:37

ChrisX

Thanks a lot nogoma!  GNU Screen is able to decouple programs from terminals and reconnect them to other terminals, which is exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks again.

-Chris

#4 2007-01-08 15:06:50

lanrat

It also supports single session for multiple users (see -x option) so you can have it still opened without detaching on the remote machine (both keyboards work at the same time).

Board footer