You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-09 21:37:00

esox_ch

Madwifi and custom kernels

Hello,

I've got a boring "problem", perhaps it's normal ..
Every time I change my kernel (version or patch), I've got trouble with my madwifi modules because they're compiled with an other compiler's version.
So every time I have to try to find a new version (if I used a kernel from aur or normal repositories) or I have to try to recompile it if I got a new kernel from sources ... And if I forget ... i'll have trouble as soon as I rebooted my computer because of course I won't have any way of accessing Internet.
My question is : Is there a way to automatize the process of recompiling and installing that module every time I change my kernel ? Otherwise I'll have to try to modify my aur kernel file to do it .. but it's not very safe ... And under Debian it's possible to do such thing ..

Thanks a lot

#2 2007-01-18 05:56:26

murffatksig

Re: Madwifi and custom kernels

I had this problem, it was resolved when madwifi was added to the extra repository.  Now anytime I do 'pacman -Syu' madwifi is synced up, and I haven't had a problem since.

How did you install the madwifi drivers?

The problem here is if you like to do a custom kernel.  How often do you build your own kernel?

"Oh, they have the internet on computers now."

#3 2007-02-01 23:42:24

esox_ch

Well ... Not so often in facts .. but it would be nice to have a way of doing it automatically ...

Thanks anyway

#4 2007-02-02 00:07:17

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Rebuild madwifi.  It is impossible to make a module that matches all kernels.  In fact, the kernel EXPLICITLY denies that.  If you are custom patching your kernel, you need to rebuild all kernel modules.  That's just the way it works.  All the kernels in the official repos have (or should have) corresponding versions of madwifi for download (i.e. madwifi-beyond).

Board footer