You are not logged in.

#1 2023-07-06 19:18:24

Mencoh

ACPI errors, then black screen and can't begin install

My desktop has ran Windows 10/Arch UEFI dual-boot on separate M2 drives for a few years, but I wouldn't call myself an expert. Have struggled with this issue for a few days now on a new PC build and fresh install (Windows already on there). I've always gotten ACPI errors and found them harmless, but this is the only error that precedes my screen going black and outputting no signal. I can't switch to a new tty or type or see anything happening.

The typical Arch install screen shows up, I go to the first menu option to begin the process. Then:

ACPI Error: Aborting method \SB.PCIO.GPP2.PTXH.RHUB.POT(1, then iterates up)._PLD due to previous error (AE_AML_UNINITIALIZED_ELEMENT) (20221020/psparse-529)

Motherboard: ASUS B450-I Gaming
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600X
M2 SSD 1: Western Digital Blue NVME (in first mobo slot top-facing by CPU) (Windows on this one)
M2 SSD 2: Western Digital Black NVME (in second mobo slot on bottom)

The new build uses all of my old hardware except with a better GPU. Both M2 drives show up in the BIOS.

I ran the Arch ISO on my laptop, it booted fine. I ran a separate TinyCore Linux bootable on my desktop, and it booted fine.

I updated the BIOS to the latest version, the issue persists.

Secure Boot, Fast Boot, and CSM are disabled. Windows hiberation is disabled. The issue persists whether I disable or enable SVM.

Bootable doesn't work whether it's Rufus on Windows or a stock USB writer on my Arch laptop. Issue persists with iso and dd write mode.

Boot order is Windows Manager first.

EDIT: Typo. I took a picture of that error code and typed it out manually since I couldn't think of a way to deliver the logs anywhere with my screen going black.

Last edited by Mencoh (2023-07-10 01:24:23)

#2 2023-07-06 22:14:25

jonno2002

Re: ACPI errors, then black screen and can't begin install

tinycore appears to use kernel 6.1 and the latest arch install uses 6.3 so there are differences there, have you tried booting with 'nomodeset' kernel parameter, also what is your new gpu ?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Kernel … odesetting

Last edited by jonno2002 (2023-07-06 22:15:27)

#3 2023-07-07 03:41:37

Mencoh

jonno2002 wrote:

tinycore appears to use kernel 6.1 and the latest arch install uses 6.3 so there are differences there, have you tried booting with 'nomodeset' kernel parameter, also what is your new gpu ?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Kernel … odesetting

I haven't tried that. My bootable uses GRUB, so I would add this line from the menu I suppose. When I'm able to, I can try and report back.

Old GPU was a Radeon RX 570 4 GB. New card is the same model, except 8 GB.

Last edited by Mencoh (2023-07-07 18:28:15)

#4 2023-07-07 18:23:06

Mencoh

Update: Setting nomodeset as a kernel parameter worked. Thank you, jonno2002.

For anyone new to Arch and struggling with this issue, on the iso bootable USB GRUB menu:

1. Press e for the kernel-edit screen.
2. Type nomodeset after the line beginning with linux. The command goes on the line before the one beginning with initrd.
3. Press F10 to save and reboot.

Last edited by Mencoh (2023-07-07 18:24:01)

#5 2023-07-07 21:59:54

jonno2002

this is not a fix, this just tells you that the graphics driver is the problem.
see if the same thing happens on your installed system when you get that far and post back, im not up to date with all the amd and nvidia graphics problems but theres plenty of people round here that are

#6 2023-07-10 01:22:31

Mencoh

jonno2002 wrote:

this is not a fix, this just tells you that the graphics driver is the problem.
see if the same thing happens on your installed system when you get that far and post back, im not up to date with all the amd and nvidia graphics problems but theres plenty of people round here that are

I spent a few hours today messing with it and got a KDE Plasma environment to run, but I have to keep running nomodeset as a kernel parameter to get that far.

Here were three things I did to make startx work after errors in /var/share/Xorg.0.log. I don't know if all or one of them actually accomplished it.

# wrote to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-amdgpu.conf
	Section "OutputClass"
		Identifier "AMD"
		MatchDriver "amdgpu"
		Driver "amdgpu"
	EndSection

# wrote to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
	MODULES=(amdgpu radeon)

# installed xf86-video-fbdev and xf86-video-vesa

Relevant logs at https://rentry.org/old_xorg_log.

I took notes on everything I did, step-by-step, to install Arch: https://rentry.org/arch_install_steps. I'm going to wipe it and reinstall later, because I still don't feel like I understand how I got startx to work, and I still don't understand why nomodeset is still required as a kernel parameter.

Last edited by Mencoh (2023-07-10 01:26:03)

Board footer