You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-11 12:53:20

meo
Website

DVD Device not recognised as a DVD Device

Hi,

I am having a very annoying problem.
Since installing arch (quite a while ago) I have not been able to use my DVD device for DVDs.  It is recognised as a CD-ROM only, whereas it is really a DVD reader / CD burner (not dvd burner).  I have been able to use this for reading dvds on windows, then when i used to be on ubuntu.  Arch doesn't see it properly.

When Arch loads, i notice Universal CD Device Driver or something, version 3.20, is loaded for hdc (my device).  I think it is not recognised properly.

I have tried manually mounting different devices, checked dmesg for any changes between reading a dvd and reading a cd (no new lines in dmesg when a dvd has been inserted).  It is really, really strange and I do not know what to do.

Can someone please help me?  I can download the drivers for my device (windows tho) if that helps.

Any response is greatly appreciated.  Thanks

[img]http://www.meosoft.net/OldSite/images/MatrixSig.png[/img]

#2 2007-01-11 13:26:28

Asaru

Re: DVD Device not recognised as a DVD Device

have you tried to add udf in your fstab for that device to mount a dvd?

/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0

#3 2007-01-12 01:56:33

meo
Website

yes I have that, no difference.  I think it is a problem with the firmware that is flashed onto the device itself, or something like that.  is there a way to flash firmwares in linux?  all the toshiba firmware installation things, or the rpc1.org stuff are all for windows.  how can i do it?

or, if there is a way, i'd like to reset to the original firmware, is there any possibility of that?

[img]http://www.meosoft.net/OldSite/images/MatrixSig.png[/img]

#4 2007-01-16 15:36:38

Asaru

sorry. no clue about flashing firmware on linux ;(

Board footer