You are not logged in.

#1 2023-07-24 02:57:32

surf.bluecrab

Web design on Linux

Hello, I have a question for the community:  I started using Linux in 1997. In 2008 I ditch Windows completely and now only use Linux, BSD and open source software.  I have put myself in a bubble where I am unable to use any software designed for Mac, Windows or Java ( I also dont drink Wine ).

I have not made any websites in a while, when I was in university I used Adobe Dreamweaver for web development.

Many people ask me to do website for them but I always assume that web developer use a Mac and an Adobe suite.

I was wondering if I would hit a brick wall offering web development services because of my no proprietary software philosophy?

I am currently installing drupal on my Arch server for my own personal needs but I was wondering what suite of software do an average artist web developer use and if I would be the black sheep if I cannot use Adobe product?

#2 2023-07-24 03:00:03

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Web design on Linux

I just use vim.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2023-07-24 03:09:47

surf.bluecrab

Do you write html from scratch in an text editor?

#4 2023-07-24 06:48:48

seth

Don't be ridiculous. One uses a pattern file so one doesn't have to type the whole

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en" dir="ltr">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type"…
<title…
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" …
<script type="text/javascript">
…
</script>

<link rel="shortcut icon" …
</head>

<body>
…
</body>
</html>

stuff everytime. Also you want syntax highlighting, autocompletion, the entire nice-to-have IDE stuff (which vim indeed is fully capable of)

"webdesign" involves more than a single html file, most of that will typically be autogenerated by some server script, but than "modern" webdesign expects a lot of javascript (for whatever reason), typically using libraries like jquery and the actual look is then done w/ css that is fully capable of turning a webpage on its head (eg. if wikimedia does something stupid and people are throwing around bananas)

Or you use frontpage.
The wysiwymg tools allow you to click together some webpages but I'd wager that a CMS like wordpress is gonna produce better results of similar variety and is designed to be then content-fed by your client.

#5 2023-07-24 07:08:50

Awebb

Have a look at static site builders like Jekyll.

#6 2023-07-24 12:07:43

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

surf.bluecrab wrote:

Do you write html from scratch in an text editor?

Html, css, php, occasional svg, and in very small doses, js, yes.

(sidenote: html5 is much simpler than xhtml and greatly reduces the importance of the above-mentioned templates.)

Last edited by Trilby (2023-07-24 12:30:47)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2023-07-24 14:33:42

icar

I work on Linux and I do 99% of the time web + Node development. It works perfectly fine. You likely want an IDE (such as WebStorm or VSCode, or (neo)vim if you are into that). They are available for Linux, all from the AUR and from other proprietary means.

Last edited by icar (2023-07-24 14:36:59)

#8 2023-09-29 22:31:15

tdtooke

I'll be a necrobumping rebel....hehe  My 2 cents.  VSCode is perfectly fine but a bit spartan.  I don't use linux at all for dev stuff.  I do maintain one website that is basically a gantt chart view of projects that go through me.  So hard to describe this without telling you my job...lol  The backend is mariadb and I use bootstrap because I love bootstrap modal windows for being able to click on a bar in my timeflow and have a modal popup with a scan of the paperwork involved and the information people are going to want to know about that step in the process.  I use Visual Studio for all of it.  If you need to be able to debug php, jquery, a ton of javascript then you need a proper ide that will let you test things out when you make changes.  Personally I hate linux IDEs.  I know that's an unpopular opinion here but I'm all about Visual Studio and Delphi.  My servers are linux but I do most of my keyboard banging on windows.

#9 2023-10-29 21:14:57

ayylmaonade

Honestly, you don't need more than vim or neovim with a decent plugin setup -- at least that works really well for me. Both for web dev and otherwise.

"Avoid the gates of Hell, use Linux."
R7 5800X3D 8C/16T | RX 7900 XTX 24GB | 32GB 3600MT/s CL16 | Arch w/ KDE.

#10 2023-10-29 21:37:46

surf.bluecrab

ayylmaonade wrote:

Honestly, you don't need more than vim or neovim with a decent plugin setup -- at least that works really well for me. Both for web dev and otherwise.

Can you show me any website you have done with just a text editor?  What plugin do you use?  I currently have wordpress installed with nginx.  It works alright and look good but I feel to many things are automated and I dont like the advertising to buy commercial plugins.

Last edited by surf.bluecrab (2023-10-29 21:38:12)

#11 2023-10-29 21:44:11

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

EDIT: Sorry!  I think I may have added a sarcastic tone to your question(s) which were not there.  Mostly disregard the following (unless there was sarcasm intended).  Original below

surf.bluecrab wrote:

Can you show me any website you have done with just a text editor?

I could show you several.  One was for a citizen-science research project with over 18000 users.

surf.bluecrab wrote:

What plugin do you use?

Huh?  No "plugins" are needed to write code / text.

Last edited by Trilby (2023-10-29 21:45:51)

#12 2023-10-30 01:46:10

bulletmark

Trilby wrote:

I'm a vim user as well but I hate editing HTML and dealing with closing tags etc so I always try to integrate pug into my build/make. Vim is extremely efficient at moving blocks around and indenting/de-indenting so pug is a great fit.

#13 2023-10-30 07:18:13

seth

Trilby wrote:

I think the OP took a hard turn and was at this point talking tabout their webserver config, not the editor - ie. inquiring an alternative for wordpress, also see the OP

I am currently installing drupal on my Arch server for my own personal needs

The thread might be mislabeled/mistaken - the OP possibly just wants to know what /is/ the coolest CMS, not how to develop one.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/List_o … og_engines
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/List_o … generators

#14 2023-10-30 09:12:54

holytrousers

My advice would be to learn to write your html code by yourself. Then learn some basic css and javascript (if you really need something dynamic).
Keep it simple,nothing fancy, and your users will be grateful.
Gimp and Inkscape will be your tools to design graphics.
When you feel comfortable with using plain text editors, learn to touch type and jump into vim.
Cheers !

#15 2023-10-30 11:56:59

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

holytrousers wrote:

My advice would be to learn to write your html code by yourself. Then learn some basic css and javascript (if you really need something dynamic).
Keep it simple,nothing fancy, and your users will be grateful.

Yup

holytrousers wrote:

Gimp and Inkscape will be your tools to design graphics.

Wait, what?  That's a bit of a divergence from the previous statement.  Svg is just text.  Vim is a text editor.  Why use Inkscape which ends up making horrifically convoluted svg code that is 10-100 times as large as it needs to be?

For me, I use vim for HTML/CSS/JS/PHP/SVG and anything else that may be needed.  When working with photos or other images that must be in a raster format, imagemagick is helpful (and scriptable).

Current trends of web developers thinking they need a GUI tool to make web pages reminds me of conversations in the 80s and early 90s mocked in the movie City Slickers where some people couldn't figure out that you could record a show with your VCR that you were not actively watching on your TV (link).

Last edited by Trilby (2023-10-30 12:02:21)

#16 2023-10-30 15:14:45

seth

The main reason to use things like gimp and inkscape is to avoid stuff like https://c.files.bbci.co.uk/7F80/product … f9f262.gif
tongue

Editing svg/png w/ vim/sed/IM/GM is fine for trivial stuff, but you're not convincing me that you're gonna try to draw a parrot by writing Bézier curves in vim…
Fwwi, gimp is scriptable, too. Very handy b/c you can steamroll elsamuko filters over batches of images - and everything looks automatically better w/ the NG look wink

Board footer