You are not logged in.

#1 2023-08-11 21:41:12

Mezzy12

[Solved] System froze during update, now trying to get it working

Hello!

Today, I was updating my Arch Linux PC and my system froze during the dmks module install phase for my kernels. I had to force shutdown my PC. When I rebooted, well, I couldn't get back into my system. So I booted up a live USB, chrooted into my SSD and did a pacman -Syu to complete the uprade. I did have to add --overwrite when I did that because it otherwise would not work, I forgot why because I am also doing this whilst working through a nasty migraine and my short term memory is shot.

This did make my system bootable, but it's still in an unusable state. I am able to log in but basically nothing works after that. When the system is loading the kernel, I get an error message:

[FAILED] Failed to start Monitoring of LVM2musing dmeventd or progress polling.
[FAILED] Failed to start Monitoring of LVM2musing mirrors, snapshots etc. using dmeventd or progress polling.

After I login in to my system, basically nothing works. This appears to be because shared libraries are broken. Running almost any command will generate a message like this:

usr/lib/Xorg: eroor while loading shared libraries: libsystemd.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The above appears when running startx from my terminal.

Then when trying to do sudo pacman -Syu:

sudo: error in /etc/sudo.conf, line 0 while loading "sudoers_policy"
sudo: unable to load /usr/lib/sudo/sudoers.so: libidap.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
sudo: fatal error, unable to load plugins

What should be my next step to get my system back to full functionality? I will try and provide any additional information if needed.

Thanks!

Last edited by Mezzy12 (2023-08-13 19:34:00)

#2 2023-08-12 06:56:55

seth

Re: [Solved] System froze during update, now trying to get it working

What should be my next step to get my system back to full functionality?

doing this whilst working through a nasty migraine and my short term memory is shot

1. wait until your brain works again, you should by now have figured that live is nasty without one.

sudo LC_ALL=C pacman -Qkk | grep -v ', 0 altered files'

At least the system and libldap (don't manually transcribe error messages, redirect them into a file) packages are broken, but there're probably more.

The broadsword solution is to re-install all packages

#3 2023-08-12 15:54:32

Mezzy12

seth wrote:

What should be my next step to get my system back to full functionality?

doing this whilst working through a nasty migraine and my short term memory is shot

1. wait until your brain works again, you should by now have figured that live is nasty without one.

That should have been my first port of call lol

I will probably just bite the bullet and reinstall all packages. Is there anything in particular I should do with the output of:

sudo LC_ALL=C pacman -Qkk | grep -v ', 0 altered files'

Sorry if that's obvious and I'm just missing the point haha.

Thanks for the help!

#4 2023-08-12 17:11:34

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

It's not much of a bullet: `pacman -Qnq | pacman -S -` is perfectly safe.  That will solve some potential problems and perhaps be all you need.

Last edited by Trilby (2023-08-12 17:13:38)

"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

#5 2023-08-12 17:24:39

Mezzy12

Followed the wiki's direction on reinstalling all packages as seth suggested. Had to add --overwrite to remove some compressed files. And I had to manually touch some systemd-libs package file as suggested here.

I think I've restored full system functionality?

Trilby wrote:

It's not much of a bullet: `pacman -Qnq | pacman -S -` is perfectly safe.  That will solve some potential problems and perhaps be all you need.

Yeah it was pretty painless haha. I don't know what I was expecting tbh. Some manual intervention was definitely needed though, like the, "no such file or directory," error I was receiving with the systemd-libs package as mentioned above.

If anyone experiencing the same problem is reading this, don't just add

--overwrite "*"

like I did without reading about how to use it in the wiki. I do believe it's recommended to avoid using it.

Thanks for the help both of ye. I'm not gonna mark it as solved just yet because I need a chance to actually test that. I'll come back to this thread in a few hours or tomorrow to respond appropriately.

EDIT: I'm going to mark this issue as solved, as it does appear to be. Thanks.

Last edited by Mezzy12 (2023-08-13 19:33:31)

Board footer