You are not logged in.

#1 2023-08-25 17:21:48

Zink21

System crashes at random after migration to new NVMe

Hello all!

I've ran into a quite interesting issue. I've bought a new Kingstone PCIe 4.0 NVMe for my Intel NUC. That's an upgrade from a SATA SSD I was using previously.

Today I've started and migrated all of the system with `rsync` since the previous SSD had 512GB and the new one is 1TB. I partitioned everything in `cfdisk`, formatted and mounted the partitions, ran rsync just like in this wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Rsync# … tem_backup
After that edited fstab and ran GRUB.

Everithing seemed like it was working fine untill the system freezes completely for a couple of minutes. I'm not even able to change to a different TTY and after is running again it's completely unusable. Getting errors like:

-bash: /usr/bin/dmesg: Input/Output error

When I'm able to run dmesg though (because sometime I might still be able to have access to different things), I get some logs like this:

nvme nvme0: I/O 395 (Write) QID 1 timeout, aborting

nvme nvme0: Device not ready; aborting reset, CSTS=0x1

Unfortunately I'm not able to get the whole message since this is not logged on journalctl. Probably the SSD dies entierly so that it cannot write this logs.

So since this seems like a SSD problem I've run nvme-cli tool a bit in oder to see if I found something, but everything seems fine there, there are no usefull logs or errors. just things like

Entry[i]   
error_count  : 0
sqid         : 0
cmdid        : 0
status_field : 0(SUCCESS)
parm_err_loc : 0
lba          : 0
nsid         : 0
vs           : 0

What do you think I should do next?

#2 2023-08-25 19:21:13

agapito

Re: System crashes at random after migration to new NVMe

If your SSD is fine, it sounds like a lack of voltage.

Last edited by agapito (2023-10-24 19:39:03)

Excuse my poor English.

Board footer