You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-14 20:33:13

Corvin

again problem with wep after kernel upgrade

I don't get it, and I have a request to developers, again after upgrade to newest kernel to  2.6.19.2-1, something is wrong with WEP! This situation recurs freqeuently so I suppose that you gentelmans do something wrong. Last time before upgrade to beyond situation was the same WEP module doesn't work. Now it happens again. Please do something.

#2 2007-01-14 22:12:46

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: again problem with wep after kernel upgrade

Corvin wrote:

I don't get it, and I have a request to developers, again after upgrade to newest kernel to  2.6.19.2-1, something is wrong with WEP! This situation recurs freqeuently so I suppose that you gentelmans do something wrong. Last time before upgrade to beyond situation was the same WEP module doesn't work. Now it happens again. Please do something.

_what_ is wrong?

"It doesnt work! Fix it!" doesnt help us fix anything, and requests like this tend do be ignored.

Please give a full description of what you're trying to do, what's not working, and why it's not working.

James

#3 2007-01-15 21:02:28

Corvin

Jan 13 17:20:32 Dragon ieee80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'WEP'
Jan 13 17:20:34 Dragon ipw2200: Firmware error detected.  Restarting.
Jan 13 17:20:35 Dragon ipw2200: Firmware error detected.  Restarting.
Jan 13 17:21:32 Dragon ieee80211_crypt_wep: could not allocate crypto API arc4
Jan 13 17:21:32 Dragon wlan: could not initialize WEP: load module ieee80211_crypt_wep

It happens frequently, I can elaborate on this as much as you want please iphitus, ask me what you need

#4 2007-01-28 18:20:01

florian

I've got a similar, extremely annoying, problem so this might be related:

root@hefty florian # dmesg
ieee80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'WEP'
ieee80211_crypt_wep: could not allocate crypto API arc4
wlan: could not initialize WEP: load module ieee80211_crypt_wep
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan: link is not ready
ipw2200: Firmware error detected.  Restarting.
wlan: no IPv6 routers present
root@hefty florian #

Bringing up the network sometimes succeeds and sometimes fails. It always works on the second try, though. In the case of an error rc.d/network waits for about one to two minutes until it quits with the following error message:

root@hefty florian # /etc/rc.d/network start
:: Starting Network                                                                 [BUSY]
Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
    SET failed on device wlan ; Operation not supported.
                                                                                    [FAIL]
root@hefty florian #

If you need any more information feel free to ask, but it might take some time till I can answer.

I tried to find out where exactly the problem occurs, but I forgot to write it down. I guess I'll have to do it again at some time in the future. Thanks for any help on this. I'm lost.

#5 2007-01-30 17:27:45

Corvin

I've changed WEP to WPA. I hag got exactly the same problem. So I helped myself in other way wink. moreover WEP is too easy to crack.

#6 2007-02-03 13:24:36

florian

I forgot to tell that one of the stranger problems related to this is the fact that the keyboard stops working (X and console) while it tries to execute /etc/rc.d/network. After some time the error message described in my other post is displayed and the keyboard starts working again. The keys pressed during this time get printed after this. The mouse and everything else seems to be working fine during this time, though.

Board footer