You are not logged in.

#1 2023-09-06 22:20:25

scatherinch

[SOLVED] WINE: Mouse Hanging in MMO games (WoW / FFXIV)

Mainly speaking about MMO's such as FFXIV and WoW. They are games where your character is moved third person via the use of the mouse. However, sometimes when I try and move about the world in either of these games, my mouse 'catches' and it disappears like I'm trying to move the camera about. It'll stay 'stuck' until I have to right click. It happens completely at random. I think this is related to WINE, but I'm unsure of how to manipulate the prefix to fix it. FFXIV has a way of doing a 'hack' in its launcher (The dalamud people for XIVLauncher) but I was wondering if I could fix this for WoW.

Any advice as to why this happens? I have heard a rumor that this might be because I run two monitors, butt I'm unsure of how true that is.

At anyrate, this is a problem that only happens in these two games and it has been there over numerous installations.

Last edited by scatherinch (2023-09-25 06:30:08)

#2 2023-09-06 23:14:49

headkase

Re: [SOLVED] WINE: Mouse Hanging in MMO games (WoW / FFXIV)

What version of WINE do you use?  And how to you manage your WINE prefixes?

Lutris is a game manager.  You can use it to easily manage lots of different prefixes.

protonup-qt (in the AUR) is good to easily use different WINE versions in Lutris - like the very good Glorious Eggroll ones.  protonup-qt also manages GE WINE versions in Steam if you use that.

I use both of these and they work awesome together.

#3 2023-09-07 06:15:22

scatherinch

Ah.

Well, I'm using wine-staging 8.15-1. I actually have one default prefix that I use to play WoW, so this isn't even related to steam. All I am saying is that I have noticed eerily similar behavior from the mouse in both of these games.

No, I don't have Lutris, btw.

Last edited by scatherinch (2023-09-07 06:15:35)

#4 2023-09-07 08:36:43

icar

I play WoW with ProtonGE and I don't have issues like yours. Have you tried in a new, clean prefix? Do you use DXVK/vkd3d?

#5 2023-09-07 15:35:35

headkase

scatherinch wrote:

Ah.

Well, I'm using wine-staging 8.15-1. I actually have one default prefix that I use to play WoW, so this isn't even related to steam. All I am saying is that I have noticed eerily similar behavior from the mouse in both of these games.

No, I don't have Lutris, btw.

Lutris makes everything simpler.  And with protonup-qt that makes it even easier.  I would really recommend that you learn and use both of those.  Things just work better, especially if you use one of the "GE" WINE versions (protonup-qt installs those).

Lutris has "automatic installers" but I don't use those, you can try them or just use "+" in the upper-left choose "add a locally installed game" and fill out all the fields.  At the bottom of the window, once you click on a game entry, in the arrow-menu you can "run an exe inside the prefix" and that's where you'd choose your game installer after the prefix is set up.  With that, install the game, then after that right click the game in Lutris again, choose configure, and then you can fill in the field which tells Lutris which executable starts the game.  Usually that's all you need.  DXVK and other things are also easily managed through Lutris.  Read about DXVK, if you use that so many Windows games "just work".

Lutris has game-art covers for many games.  Right-click your game in Lutris, choose "view on Lutris.net" and once you have the game entry right-click on the cover image.  Save that somewhere on your hard drive, and then when you're configuring the game in Lutris you can click on the image-placeholder and choose your downloaded artwork.  This is if you're doing things manually like I do, the automatic installers do that for you.  I do things manually because I get exactly what I want.  What works for you might be different.

If you use Plasma desktop then while Lutris is initializing the WINE prefix Lutris may become unresponsive and Plasma can kill it (kill Lutris but it doesn't kill WINE initializing the prefix).  If that happens just restart Lutris and pick up where you left off - it doesn't matter.

Lutris may be a bit confusing at first but I can't emphasize enough that once you learn it it will make your life easier.

Last edited by headkase (2023-09-07 15:51:25)

#6 2023-09-08 07:38:00

scatherinch

@Icar It just set a default prefix up when I clicked on the WoW icon and this has just always been a thing every installation. So I guess a normal prefix won't cut it.  How are you playing wow with that? It might help me. Yes, DXVK is enabled in that prefix.

I'm still somewhat noobish.

@headcase I will look into both of these, thank you for this information. I'm still very new to the world of Linux gaming...and no, I use a window manager, no KDE here.

Last edited by scatherinch (2023-09-08 07:44:34)

#7 2023-09-08 08:36:04

icar

I use https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/wine-ge-custom from Chaotic AUR. I created a .desktop file to easily launch the game (wine WoW.exe), which has the options I want (env vars, etc). You can set a WINEPREFIX=$someLocation to specify a prefix, if you don't want a shared prefix -- I do this, I have one prefix next to the executable.

Last edited by icar (2023-09-08 08:38:41)

#8 2023-09-25 06:29:51

scatherinch

Believe it or not, I ended up using a custom proton-ge as well, but it was modified for XIV (Another game I play) it is called xiv-ge and it whatever it has inside of it has eliminated the problems I've had in both of these games. I ended up making bash scripts to launch my games to the location of where I have this prefix and all is good!

Board footer