You are not logged in.

#1 2023-09-06 23:58:05

Stonegrip

[SOLVED] how to change the GRUB theme with an encrypted hard drive

I downloaded a couple GRUB themes, installed the packages in /usr/share/grub/themes folder, referred to one of the theme txt-file with

GRUB_THEME="/usr/share/grub/themes/theme_folder/theme.txt"

within the /etc/default/grub file. Regenerate grub.cfg, and rebooted.

Before describing the result of rebooting, a couple of words on my setup: I have 2 hard drives - one with Ubuntu and the other one is with Arch. The arch one is encrypted.

After I rebooted and pressed F7 to get to the GRUB menu, I saw the same Norton Commander-sort of screen (black with the dark blue box with my hard drives; same as before installing the GRUB theme), I chose Arch, which by the way is not detected as Arch but is shown as UEFI disk. After that I was asked to capture the passphrase for disk decryption, which was not accepted, and showed me a bunch of messages stating that the "server is not found".

After that I saw a conventional white-on-black Grub interface, where I could choose Arch, Firmware etc. The theme was not applied. I chose Arch and the rest of rebooting went as per a normal scenario without any hiccups.

I tried installing the same Grub theme on Ubuntu, but to no avail either.

So now not only the Grub theme is not working, but I have to capture the passphrase twice: the first time before I see the Grub screen with Arch and that results in the error message, and the second one after the Arch option is selected on the Grub screen.

Hence my question: can I even change the Grub theme if my hard drive is encrypted, and if so, how to do it?

Last edited by Stonegrip (2023-09-16 19:09:21)

#2 2023-09-09 02:01:26

Stonegrip

Re: [SOLVED] how to change the GRUB theme with an encrypted hard drive

I wonder if I'm the only one who decided to change the GRUB theme on a multi-boot laptop with encrypted hard drive that no one opines on the possible solution here.

#3 2023-09-09 03:20:17

cloverskull

You need to place all relevant theme components in your EFI or boot partition and make GRUB_THEME point at those files. It's not able to access anything on the encrypted device.

#4 2023-09-16 19:08:41

Stonegrip

Sorry for the delayed reaction. I was on leave. Appreciate the advice. I moved the theme to /boot/EFI/BOOT folder, re-generated GRUB config, and it started working perfectly. Thanks a lot for the help. Tagging this one as "resolved".

Board footer