You are not logged in.

#1 2023-09-07 10:03:11

RaZorr

[SOLVED]Provide more clarification on the crypttab section of Dm-crypt

The crypttab related section of the wiki is not that long. In fact, I find it relatively short compared to some other topics.

However, it has some unclear parts

Starting with this part

Warning: If you are using /etc/crypttab or /etc/crypttab.initramfs together with luks.* or rd.luks.* parameters, only those devices specified on the kernel command line will be activated and you will see Not creating device 'devicename' because it was not specified on the kernel command line.. This is because the luks.* or rd.luks.* parameters control which devices from the crypttab get activated. To activate all devices in /etc/crypttab do not specify any luks.* parameters and use rd.luks.*. To activate all devices in /etc/crypttab.initramfs do not specify any luks.* or rd.luks.* parameters.

1. The para above starts with saying that using luks.* or rd.luks.* is not good for /etc/crypttab or /etc/crypttab.initramfs.

2. Then it says to use rd.luks.* but not luks.* for /etc/crypttab which is inconsistent and confusing with the first point.

3. Then it says to not use luks.* or rd.luks.* with /etc/crypttab.initramfs which is clear and consistent with what was mentioned from first point

In the section unlocking in late userspace "crypttab" should include both "Mounting at boot time" and "Unlocking with a keyfile". The remaining can have their own subsections as they have some specialty to it. at least in the heading.

I wish to make these changes but would like to hear the opinion of others.

Last edited by RaZorr (2023-09-07 10:21:35)

#2 2023-09-07 10:19:05

lahwaacz
Wiki Admin

Re: [SOLVED]Provide more clarification on the crypttab section of Dm-crypt

Please use the discussion page on the wiki to discuss improvements to the content.

#3 2023-09-07 10:21:20

RaZorr

Re: [SOLVED]Provide more clarification on the crypttab section of Dm-crypt

Ok, my bad. Marking as solved

Board footer