You are not logged in.

#1 2023-09-09 15:20:25

phunni

SOLVED Is anyone finding more and more native games won't run anymore?

It's often due to library issues - just a simple file not found or perhaps a "wrong ELF class:" issue.

If you ask online you just get told to use proton. The trouble is that you then have to figure out which version of proton works best and, even then, it may not work well at all. I recently had this issue with XCOM2* and was repeatedly told that I should use proton anyway as the performance would be better. It wasn't, though. At best it was on par and it was much less stable - often crashing when attempting to load a saved game.

I used to think the approach taken to re-use shared libraries was a good one, but I now think that, perhaps, it would be best if games at least came bundled with all their libraries.

Has anyone else had similar problems to mine? Is there some sort of approach that is useful for these types of situation?

*I have checked the wiki and followed it's suggestions for this game and the others I've had problems with.

Last edited by phunni (2023-09-11 13:55:20)

#2 2023-09-09 15:54:51

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: SOLVED Is anyone finding more and more native games won't run anymore?

Please post actual, concrete error messages with the actual concrete games in question. Steam by definition of what it is and wants to be already provides it's own runtime which games will use that should largely be independent of your system libs, precisely to avoid shared library issues. This can sometimes be problematic but shouldn't be in the general sense.

#3 2023-09-09 21:58:00

cloverskull

Wrong ELF class...is it a 32 bit binary that you're trying to run in a 64 bit environment? Perhaps you haven't set up multilib?

Try 'ldd <filename>' and 'file <filename>' on the binary itself to see if it reveals anything.

#4 2023-09-10 12:09:33

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Are all affected games running through steam ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

clean chroot building to complicated ?
Try clean chroot manager by graysky

#5 2023-09-10 13:48:41

phunni

V1del wrote:

Please post actual, concrete error messages with the actual concrete games in question. Steam by definition of what it is and wants to be already provides it's own runtime which games will use that should largely be independent of your system libs, precisely to avoid shared library issues. This can sometimes be problematic but shouldn't be in the general sense.

Fair enough. I'd hoped for a helpful general discussion on the principles of fixing these types of problem, but we can focus on my XCOM2 issues - that would actually be quite helpful. I'll detail them more down below.

cloverskull wrote:

Wrong ELF class...is it a 32 bit binary that you're trying to run in a 64 bit environment? Perhaps you haven't set up multilib?

I do have multilib set up. In the case of XCOM2 - I think it's the other way around. The error is:

ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/paul//.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgconf-2.so.4' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.

According to the wiki libgconf-2.so.4 is required, but, apparently the 32 bit version (if I'm reading the error correctly) is no longer useable for this. Unfortunately, I don't think I have a 64bit version.

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Are all affected games running through steam ?

Yes.

The other error I'm getting when I try to run XCOM2 is

/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/bin/XCOM2: error while loading shared libraries: libCoreFoundation.so.476: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This library is located in /home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/lib/x86_64/ and I have

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/lib/x86_64/" 

in my startup command in the properties of the game in steam.

Hopefully that all makes some sense and leads us in a helpful direction :-)

#6 2023-09-10 16:30:05

xerxes_

You have space in folder name, so you should have single/double quote:
'/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/bin/XCOM2'

For 32-bit executable /lib/ld-linux.so.2 should be used and for 64-bit executable /lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 should be used.
So if xcom2 is 32-bit executable try something like this (I don't know your paths, so check it):

/lib/ld-linux.so.2 --preload /path/to/libgconf-2.so.4 '/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/bin/XCOM2'

#7 2023-09-10 18:22:40

phunni

xerxes_ wrote:

You have space in folder name, so you should have single/double quote:
'/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/bin/XCOM2'

Pretty sure it does have double quotes.

xerces wrote:

For 32-bit executable /lib/ld-linux.so.2 should be used and for 64-bit executable /lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 should be used.
So if xcom2 is 32-bit executable try something like this (I don't know your paths, so check it):

/lib/ld-linux.so.2 --preload /path/to/libgconf-2.so.4 '/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/bin/XCOM2'

I'm quite confused now. Using the file command on /home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/XCOM\ 2/bin/XCOM2 suggests that it's a 64-bit executable:

XCOM2: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, ...

However, if I set my launch options to:

/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 --preload /home/paul/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgconf-2.so.4 %command% -allowconsole

(I also tried /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2) with the same results.)

causes the error:

/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper: error while loading shared libraries: /home/paul/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

However, using /lib/ld-linux.so.2 fixes the ELF class errors and just leaves me with "No such file or directory" for the libraries in "/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/lib/x86_64/"  - I'm not certain how to add that path to the command we've used above

#8 2023-09-10 18:56:44

seth

Is anyone finding more and more native games won't run anymore?

Are you trying to do this w/  https://archlinux.org/packages/multilib … e-runtime/ ?
What if you don't?

#9 2023-09-10 19:00:28

phunni

No - I'm using the steam runtime, but trying ot run games natively as opposed to using proton.

#10 2023-09-10 19:30:03

seth

Please post the entire steam log, not just some lines, to put "libgconf-2.so.4' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored" into context (and whether that's actually for running xcom2)

Also https://man.archlinux.org/man/core/man- … n#LD_DEBUG
"LD_DEBUG=libs" to see what paths are actually searched for the libCoreFoundation.so.476 error.

#11 2023-09-11 13:05:09

phunni

seth wrote:

Please post the entire steam log, not just some lines, to put "libgconf-2.so.4' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored" into context (and whether that's actually for running xcom2)

I'll try - although, having said that I won't this time becausethe LD_DEBUG has made it massive and very repetitive. That said, I'm as sure as I can be that the error is related to XCOM 2. It only happens after I've launched the game and which errors appear are affected by the launch options that I set in the game.

seth wrote:

Also https://man.archlinux.org/man/core/man- … n#LD_DEBUG
"LD_DEBUG=libs" to see what paths are actually searched for the libCoreFoundation.so.476 error.

That's a very helpful suggestions. So, for the No such file or directory error It outputs:

9564:	 search path=/usr/lib64:/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime/var/steam-runtime/lib/i386-linux-gnu:/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime/var/steam-runtime/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu:/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime/var/steam-runtime/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime/var/steam-runtime/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glibc-hwcaps/x86-64-v3:/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime/var/steam-runtime/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glibc-hwcaps/x86-64-v2:/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime/var/steam-runtime/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime/var/steam-runtime/lib/glibc-hwcaps/x86-64-v3:/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime/var/steam-runtime/lib/glibc-hwcaps/x86-64-v2:/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime/var/steam-runtime/lib:/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime/var/steam-runtime/usr/lib/glibc-hwcaps/x86-64-v3:/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime/var/steam-runtime/usr/lib/glibc-hwcaps/x86-64-v2:/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime/var/steam-runtime/usr/lib:/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/glibc-hwcaps/x86-64-v3:/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/glibc-hwcaps/x86-64-v2:/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/XCOM 2		(LD_LIBRARY_PATH)
      9564:	  trying file=/usr/lib64/libCoreFoundation.so.476
      9564:	  trying file=/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime/var/steam-runtime/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libCoreFoundation.so.476
      9564:	  trying file=/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime/var/steam-runtime/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libCoreFoundation.so.476
      9564:	  trying file=/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime/var/steam-runtime/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libCoreFoundation.so.476
      9564:	  trying file=/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime/var/steam-runtime/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glibc-hwcaps/x86-64-v3/libCoreFoundation.so.476
      9564:	  trying file=/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime/var/steam-runtime/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glibc-hwcaps/x86-64-v2/libCoreFoundation.so.476
      9564:	  trying file=/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime/var/steam-runtime/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libCoreFoundation.so.476
      9564:	  trying file=/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime/var/steam-runtime/lib/glibc-hwcaps/x86-64-v3/libCoreFoundation.so.476
      9564:	  trying file=/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime/var/steam-runtime/lib/glibc-hwcaps/x86-64-v2/libCoreFoundation.so.476
      9564:	  trying file=/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime/var/steam-runtime/lib/libCoreFoundation.so.476
      9564:	  trying file=/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime/var/steam-runtime/usr/lib/glibc-hwcaps/x86-64-v3/libCoreFoundation.so.476
      9564:	  trying file=/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime/var/steam-runtime/usr/lib/glibc-hwcaps/x86-64-v2/libCoreFoundation.so.476
      9564:	  trying file=/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime/var/steam-runtime/usr/lib/libCoreFoundation.so.476
      9564:	  trying file=/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/glibc-hwcaps/x86-64-v3/libCoreFoundation.so.476
      9564:	  trying file=/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/glibc-hwcaps/x86-64-v2/libCoreFoundation.so.476
      9564:	  trying file=/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/libCoreFoundation.so.476
      9564:	 search cache=/etc/ld.so.cache
      9564:	 search path=/usr/lib		(system search path)
      9564:	  trying file=/usr/lib/libCoreFoundation.so.476
      9564:	
/home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/bin/XCOM2: error while loading shared libraries: libCoreFoundation.so.476: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Which, obviously, means it isn't searching /home/paul/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/XCOM 2/lib/x86_64/ despite my setting that in the launch options...

#12 2023-09-11 13:28:43

seth

It'd seem that steam or the game sets its own library path, ignoring pre(?) existing values.
Just symlink the library into a searched path.

#13 2023-09-11 13:54:01

phunni

seth wrote:

It'd seem that steam or the game sets its own library path, ignoring pre(?) existing values.
Just symlink the library into a searched path.

Yup - that fixed that particular issue. I then had a variation on: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Steam/ … _not_found and, following the instructions there it now launches :-D

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Board footer