You are not logged in.

#1 2023-09-10 04:58:51

Jotunn

[RESOLVED] Discord - Ran forced update and now I have issues with audi

Issue description:
- Discord cannot hear my microphone.
- Every sound that Discord makes is prolonged and choppy.
--- This includes the various dings that the app makes, VC audio, and streaming audio.
--- By "choppy" I mean it cycles rapidly between silence and sound (like someone talking through a fan but worse and slower)
--- By "prolonged" I mean the sounds take much longer than usual to play. As an example, the ding when joining a VC takes at least 10 full seconds to finish playing.

Additional Information:
- Other applications can hear my microphone without issue. I confirmed with test recordings in Reaper.
- Other applications can produce sound without issue. I confirmed with Spotify (local app) and Youtube (firefox).
- I noticed that if I am listening to music or watching a youtube video, then I try to join a VC in Discord or I open my Discord audio settings, the music / video will become choppy just like discord itself. This will clear up a few seconds after leaving the VC or closing my Discord sound settings.
- When I am watching a video and join a VC or open sound settings as described above I also notice that the video starts to studder like it is dropping frames or something. This also clears up a few seconds after leaving the VC or closing my Discord sound settings.
- All of the experiences described above happen exactly the same way if I try to use Discord in my web browser.

Troubleshooting so far:
- Rebooting the computer did not resolve the issue.
- Running a system update did not resolve the issue.
- Reinstalling Discord did not resolve the issue. (I tried through pacman and through flatpak.)
- I thought it might be network related but other devices are not being impacted and my network connection seems otherwise fine. I restarted network hardware anyway just to be safe. This did not resolve the issue.
- I thought this could be an issue with my RAM or drivers but other intense applications do no0t cause any issues. I can listen to Spotify, play multiple Youtube videos, and run a game like Armored Core 6 all at once with no problems but the moment discord gets involved the problems start.
- I thought it might just be a problem with This Discord update on Arch but I have not seen anyone else talking about it. 

Is there more I can try or will I just need to sit around and hope for a future update to fix this?

Last edited by Jotunn (2023-09-11 02:05:03)

#2 2023-09-10 05:15:13

icar

Re: [RESOLVED] Discord - Ran forced update and now I have issues with audi

You can always use it with a browser. I've been doing that for years on Firefox without an issue.

#3 2023-09-10 06:08:29

Jotunn

icar wrote:

You can always use it with a browser. I've been doing that for years on Firefox without an issue.

If only.
I am encountering the same issue with discord in browser. That was the part where I had to just throw my hands up and ask for help because at this point I am thoroughly confused.

#4 2023-09-10 18:08:32

Jotunn

Update:
- shuffling around my input and output devices seems to have resolved the issue.
- If the fix persists through a reboot I will mark the thread as resolved.

#5 2023-09-11 02:03:38

Jotunn

Update
The resolution did not survive a reboot unfortunately.
I think I am going to mark the thread as resolved for now anyway though.
The work around of toggling by Audio I/O devices in discord sound settings to other devices then back to the correct ones seems to work consistently enough.
I may revisit the issue at a later date once higher priority tasks have been resolved but this is good enough for me for now.

Board footer