You are not logged in.

#1 2023-09-12 20:58:56

Nexsy

DualSense refuses to connect over Bluetooth

So this has been going on for a couple of days with me trying all kinds of fixes for it. Reinstalling all bluetooth related packages, even trying different WMs and DEs.
I deleted all configs in /etc/bluetooth and /var/lib/bluetooth hoping that would fix it but it didn't.
Both using a GUI(two different ones in fact) and using bluetoothctl from terminal.
The Dualsense worked fine before, especially with sc-controller, but one day it just spazzed out(R2 and L2 didn't work and they were acting as if they are an analog stick input), I turned off sc-controller, I disconnected my DualSense and could not get it to connect again.
After removing it from devices and tried re-pairing it but that just led to the errors I mention below.

The controller pairs, connects for a split second and that immediately disconnects.
Bluetoothctl shows this error:
"Failed to connect: org.bluez.Error.NotAvailable br-connection-profile-unavailable"

While btmon shows these errors in red:
"= bluetoothd: profiles/input/server.c:connect_event_cb() Refusing input device connect: No such file or directory"
and
"= bluetoothd: profiles/input/server.c:confirm_event_cb() Refusing connection from 7C:66:EF:47:E0:D8: unknown device"
The rest of the btmon logs look fine to me? They are all ACL Data HCI events, if needed I will post the entire btmon and bluetoothclt logs.

EDIT: Mention of /var/lib/bluetooth deletion

Last edited by Nexsy (2023-09-12 21:01:43)

#2 2023-09-13 19:10:17

AlexCD

Re: DualSense refuses to connect over Bluetooth

I have the same problem, I have 4 dualsense controllers and all of them stopped working, works perfectly fine on windows with the same adapter.

Got the same br-connection-profile-unavailable error message, I guess the last kernel update is the culprit I'm using 6.4.15 xanmod.

#3 2023-09-13 19:32:44

Xeauron

Hi smile

This is a known issue with bluez 5.69.

See this thread for detailed info: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=288390

Basically you'll need to downgrade bluez, bluez-libs and bluez-utils to 5.68 until the driver fix reaches the arch repos.

I used my package cache:

sudo pacman -U file:///var/cache/pacman/pkg/bluez-5.68-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst 
sudo pacman -U file:///var/cache/pacman/pkg/bluez-utils-5.68-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
sudo pacman -U file:///var/cache/pacman/pkg/bluez-libs-5.68-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst 

but you can also use the downgrade tool in the AUR as advised by nhermosilla14:

nhermosilla14 wrote:

I just wanted to point out that you could also use the awesome downgrade tool to go back in these cases, just run it as:

# downgrade bluez bluez-libs bluez-utils 

It will also prompt you to add these packages to the IgnorePkg list automatically.

I've also temporarily set those packages to be excluded when I update my system in my /etc/pacman.conf file.

/etc/pacman.conf (around line 24)
# Pacman won't upgrade packages listed in IgnorePkg and members of IgnoreGroup
IgnorePkg   = bluez bluez-libs bluez-utils

Then it's just a case of waiting for the fix to drop into the Arch repos.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Xeauron (2023-09-13 19:36:28)

#4 2023-09-13 20:53:34

AlexCD

Xeauron wrote:

Hi smile

Thanks

I downgraded to 5.68 and now it pairs just fine.

#5 2023-09-14 16:07:22

Nexsy

Xeauron wrote:

Hi smile

Oh wow, that actually worked, thank you so much.

#6 2023-09-16 17:57:21

Yamashiro

Had this issue as well, however managed to resolve it without downgrading. I've paired it the normal way in Plasma, it connected but immediatelly complained that the connection wizard failed to complete the pairing. I then started bluetoothctl, trusted the  gamepad manually, rebooted, turned on the DualSense and it connected without issue.

I have been having some other problems  with the Bluetooth dongle (based on rtl8761bu)  seemingly randomly losing connection and reconnecting but I'm not sure if this too is a bluez issue or a kernel/driver issue but it certainly didn't happen until fairly recently.

Edit:
Looking at the Bluez GitHub repository, the 5.69 release appears to have been removed due to all the bugs, what is the policy of Arch on downgrading/removing problematic releases from official repositories when upstream does it?

Last edited by Yamashiro (2023-09-16 21:10:14)

#7 2023-09-16 21:59:11

Xeauron

Yamashiro wrote:

Had this issue as well, however managed to resolve it without downgrading. I've paired it the normal way in Plasma, it connected but immediatelly complained that the connection wizard failed to complete the pairing. I then started bluetoothctl, trusted the  gamepad manually, rebooted, turned on the DualSense and it connected without issue.

I have been having some other problems  with the Bluetooth dongle (based on rtl8761bu)  seemingly randomly losing connection and reconnecting but I'm not sure if this too is a bluez issue or a kernel/driver issue but it certainly didn't happen until fairly recently.

Edit:
Looking at the Bluez GitHub repository, the 5.69 release appears to have been removed due to all the bugs, what is the policy of Arch on downgrading/removing problematic releases from official repositories when upstream does it?

I was able to connect mine as well periodically, I actually thought I'd solved the issue a couple of times. However the connection wasn't stable, and after loosing connection I would be faced with pairing trouble again.

I'm not sure what Arch's policies are on this myself, but I'll be sticking with the downgrade for now as both pads have been working flawlessly, and keeping an eye on the repository.

Once 5.69 appears in there again, I'll be waiting a week or so then trying to upgrade from the arch repos to see if the fix has arrived.

Last edited by Xeauron (2023-09-17 13:00:16)

#8 2023-09-18 23:18:06

SyXbiT
Website

I'm very surprised at how slowly stuff like this gets fixed. Either Bluez should urgently rollback or roll forward, or Arch should do it for them.

#9 2023-11-03 01:37:54

I experienced this problem today with bluez 5.70-1, and downgrading to 5.68-1 worked, even without rebooting! Thank you for digging into this and finding a workaround.

Too bad pairing the PS5 controller is still broken with 5.70.

#10 2023-11-29 03:11:09

BtwArchUser

thanks for the downgrade advice! sad it's not fixed yet. Adding one note: After doing the downgrade and Package ignores, run a

sudo systemctl restart bluetooth

before connecting the DualSense. If your system has systemctl of course.

#11 2023-11-30 03:41:25

mDuo13

Rolling back from 5.70 to 5.68 also worked for my Nintendo WiiU Pro Controller. Sad that version 5.70 didn't fix the problem.

#12 2023-12-02 23:43:06

Lojcs

I also had this issue and found a workaround. Pair the controller and let it fail to connect, then restart bluetooth via

sudo systemctl restart bluetooth

before turning on the controller. Works on 5.70. Kinda remember having to do something like this on windows too

#13 2023-12-13 18:05:07

liif_starstorm

Xeauron wrote:

Hi smile

See this thread for detailed info: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=288390

Basically you'll need to downgrade bluez, bluez-libs and bluez-utils to 5.68 until the driver fix reaches the arch repos.

I used my package cache:

sudo pacman -U file:///var/cache/pacman/pkg/bluez-5.68-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst 
sudo pacman -U file:///var/cache/pacman/pkg/bluez-utils-5.68-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
sudo pacman -U file:///var/cache/pacman/pkg/bluez-libs-5.68-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst 

but you can also use the downgrade tool in the AUR as advised by nhermosilla14:

nhermosilla14 wrote:

I just wanted to point out that you could also use the awesome downgrade tool to go back in these cases, just run it as:

# downgrade bluez bluez-libs bluez-utils 

It will also prompt you to add these packages to the IgnorePkg list automatically.

I've also temporarily set those packages to be excluded when I update my system in my /etc/pacman.conf file.

/etc/pacman.conf (around line 24)
# Pacman won't upgrade packages listed in IgnorePkg and members of IgnoreGroup
IgnorePkg   = bluez bluez-libs bluez-utils

Then it's just a case of waiting for the fix to drop into the Arch repos.

Hope that helps.

Downgraded the packages, restarted bluetooth.service, tried rebooting or pairing/trusting the controller via bluetoothctl, installing dualsensectl, but the problem persists for me. At this point I don't really know what else to try

✨they/them✨ ✨asd/ptsd✨
https://liif-starstorm.carrd.co/

Board footer