You are not logged in.

#1 2023-09-17 13:58:18

marrs

Trying to establish if nss-mdns works

I'm trying to get network printer discovery working on my laptop, and for that I'm setting up Avahi on my system.  After following the instructions on the wiki [1], I'm unable to see my printer listed by the `avahi-discover` programme.

This may be because nss-mdns is not working and the wiki suggests I run

host -t SOA local

to see if the DNS server responds with NXDOMAIN.  Unfortunately, I don't have that command installed on my machine, and I don't know what package it belongs to, but I think I should be able to get the same info another way.

I'm running the systemd network utils so I've tried running

resolvectl -t SOA query local

as an alternative but it returns the error:

local: resolve call failed: No appropriate name servers or networks for name found

My question is, is that the correct command for what I'm trying to achieve?  If it is, does its response confirm that nss-mdns is not working?  If it isn't, what command should I run instead?

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Avahi - section 4.2

Last edited by marrs (2023-09-17 14:01:30)

#2 2023-09-17 20:27:08

seth

Re: Trying to establish if nss-mdns works

"host" is in the "bind" package

#3 2023-09-18 00:31:26

marrs

Thanks.  Unfortunately I'd have to install bind as well, which I'd prefer not to do.  It looks like drill can make the query instead, though.

drill local type SOA

That produces a response code of NXDOMAIN, which is what I was looking for, so I guess this is working ok.

#4 2023-09-18 06:40:55

seth

Please always remember to mark resolved threads by editing your initial posts subject - so others will know that there's no task left, but maybe a solution to find.
Thanks.

Board footer