You are not logged in.

#1 2023-09-17 18:10:16

CaeriTech

[SOLVED] Sound stream pops & skips

Synopsis: Use plain old pulseaudio instead of pipewire and turn timer-based scheduling off by adding tsched=0 to /etc/pulse/default.pa.

Using an unmodified installation of

pipewire 1:0.3.80-1
pipewire-pulse 1:0.3.80-1
wireplumber 0.4.14-1

I get frequest pops and skips when I stream audio with my browsers (Firefox and Brave).  However, when I create /etc/pipewire/pipewire.conf with the following:

default.clock.quantum = "2048"
default.clock.min-quantum = "1024"
default.clock.max-quantum = "4096"

the pops and skips are completely gone.  This config unfortunately makes sound-recorder take a long time to appear on the screen and it does not respond to mouse clicks and I think it's because the pulseaudio server hangs.  Pulse Audio Control hangs at the message 'Establishing connection to PulseAudio. Please wait..' .

Should the above config settings for pipewire go somewhere else or is there a completely different way to fix this?

Last edited by CaeriTech (2023-09-19 13:40:40)

-=[ LIVE enabled UEFI with redundant syslinux pure systemd detached LUKS header partitionless encrypted GPT SSDx3 RAID0 wayland only because I can.  ]=-
    Backward compatibility is for the masses. There's no dual-boot here.

[CaeriTech remains only artificially intelligent.  Turing would be aghast at just how artificial.]

#2 2023-09-19 01:38:16

Skidout

Re: [SOLVED] Sound stream pops & skips

You could try putting same config file as ~/.config/pipewire/pipewire.conf but I don't see how that would make a difference. Maybe try fiddling with some of those clock numbers to see if it makes things better or worse.

I've had some audio crackling in the past with pipewire when there is a heavy load or a lot of routing going on, so it might be something to do with that.

#3 2023-09-19 13:38:28

CaeriTech

Re: [SOLVED] Sound stream pops & skips

In an act or desperation I decided to forgo pipewire and it's entourage in favour of plain old pulseaudio and according to this all I need to do is turn timer-based scheduling off by adding tsched=0 to /etc/pulse/default.pa.

I don't use any apps that depend on pipewire but if anyone knows how to turn timer-based scheduling off via pipewire please feel free to let me know just in case.

-=[ LIVE enabled UEFI with redundant syslinux pure systemd detached LUKS header partitionless encrypted GPT SSDx3 RAID0 wayland only because I can.  ]=-
    Backward compatibility is for the masses. There's no dual-boot here.

[CaeriTech remains only artificially intelligent.  Turing would be aghast at just how artificial.]

Board footer