You are not logged in.

#1 2023-09-20 14:26:26

Cesium

Pacman killed by ZSH, requires manual intervention

Almost every time I try to sync packages, ZSH kills pacman, and I have to go in and manually remove the database.
I say it's ZSH because, well, this output

zsh: terminated  sudo pacman -Syu

, and this never happened when I was using Bash.

If it's a timeout thing, it would be nice to know where the configuration file is that has anything to do with killing commands.
Thankfully, it's only while pacman is downloading packages. I haven't seen this happen while it's installing packages.

Sample output:
Screenshot of ZSH killing pacman

#2 2023-09-20 14:45:19

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: Pacman killed by ZSH, requires manual intervention

Let me guess, you're using oh-my-zsh or something similar?

#3 2023-09-20 15:23:00

seth

zsh doesn't kill pacman, it tells you that the subprocess terminated - and apparently not gracefully.
It would almost seem that pacman crashes?

What else are you doing when this happens? Has it ever happened when you fingers were a foot away from keyboard and mouse?

Otherwise Scimmia's probably right and the cause is some genious TMOUT use, maybe for an async prompt or whatnot.
Try

zsh -f

and whether it happens there.
If yes, I move my money on sudo and fprintd.

#4 2023-09-20 15:56:25

Cesium

Scimmia wrote:

Let me guess, you're using oh-my-zsh or something similar?

Nope, wrote the PS1 variable myself. Haven't even touched the rest of the .zshrc file. I do, however, have a PS0 variable that's not showing up (just prints the time, nothing else.)

As far as what I'm doing when running pacman, I'm often on firefox or something else, however, it has happened while I'm not even touching my computer.

I'll have to wait for when I get some packages to update to get a real test for this. Thanks for your help so far!

#5 2023-09-20 18:20:57

seth

What do you mean by "rest of the .zshrc" ?
Did you autogenerate it w/ the first zsh run?

If you cannot reproduce this w/o it (start "zsh -f" either from bash or ideally as your terminal command to avoid the parent shell bleeding in), post your zshrc.

Board footer