You are not logged in.

#1 2023-09-20 17:20:33

cybersmurf

Installation on MacBookPro10,1

Hello y'all!

I have this mid 2012 Macbook Pro 15" (MacBookPro10,1 2,6GHz), and due to its age macOS is becoming less and less an option. As the hardware technically still is usable fairly well, I intend to install Arch on it (with a good likelihood of ditching macOS for good on this device, for several reasons).
My issue now is: most information on installing Arch on this device is several years old, and I would like to know what to watch out for while installing Arch. As far as I can tell, I probably still need to get the proprietary WiFi firmware from somewhere, or use a smartphone for tethering to have internet to install Arch. Does the GPU switching work properly by now? nvidia or nouveau drivers? What's the recommended disk/partition setup for only booting Arch (like do i need that HFS partition for grub if I don't care about dual-booting with macOS). Is there anything that never worked properly, and/or is still wonky?

After I'm done it's my intention to use my experience to update the Wiki entry...

Anyways, thanks in advance for your help and input.

Board footer