You are not logged in.

#1 2023-09-22 21:17:59

5G Burrito

[SOLVED]I updated Arch on my Hp Pavilion G4 and broke a lot.

Hello, I am new to Arch and I've been loving it, I had just finished my first rice and have been using it for a couple of weeks, I then updated the system (last night) with:

pacman -Syu

I'm not sure if I used sudo, but I think I did

Once I successfully updated it, I rebooted and that's when the bad things started, while the laptop initialized some things (sorry, I'm not sure what it's called, I'm very much so a Linux noob) I got the following errors. (I did get past grub with no issue)

[       0.00419] __common_interupt: 1.55 No irq handler for vector
/dev/sda2: clean, 352421/28794880 files, 9191669/115153920 blocks
[   TIME   ] Timed out waiting for device /dev/zram0.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Compressed Swap on /dev/zram0.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Create Swap on /dev/zram0.

After this, it repeats the following error about 7 times, (±1 or 2 on each boot):

[FAILED] Failed to start Wireless Service]

As you likely inferred, I don't have Wi-Fi, and while the HP does have an ethernet port, it is extremely unlikely that I would be able to use it because the only working ethernet port is the ONE on my family's router, so if I'm using it, my family;y is without internet (will update if I can use ethernet)I can then login without issue

upon trying to open my WM, it doesn't start and I get an error directing me to check logs (I will post if necessary, it's just a pain because I am on a different device and can't copy-paste [I probably can once I get wifi back {by sshing, unless that's not possible}])

When I run

iwctl

I get the error/message

Waiting for IWD to start...

so, my questions and plea for help are:
Is this a common thing?
How can I prevent this complete messing up of my system in the future?
How do I fix my wifi?
How can I get back into my WM?

I will supply all data that I can, thank y'all for your help

Additionally, I am new to arch, so please inform me of what I'm doing wrong and best practices (including what I'm doing on the forum). Thank You, everybody, for dedicating the time and energy to help me do this, I hope to learn from this experience and be able to contribute to the (arch) Linux community in the future!

Last edited by 5G Burrito (2023-09-24 21:34:55)

Would your rather have unlimited have unlimited bacon, but no more games, or games, unlimited games, but no more games?

#2 2023-09-22 22:40:19

jonno2002

Re: [SOLVED]I updated Arch on my Hp Pavilion G4 and broke a lot.

what packages got updated ? check your /var/log/pacman.log
im guessing this is either a systemd or kernel issue, so you can try downgrading those one at a time to see if it fixes your problem.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Downgrading_packages
obviously a full journal output would be a good start but we need to get you connected to the network first, so if downgrading works then you can post the log/s of the failed boot/s
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/System … ing_output

wiki wrote:

However, often one is interested in messages not from the current, but from the previous boot (e.g. if an unrecoverable system crash happened). This is possible through optional offset parameter of the -b flag: journalctl -b -0 shows messages from the current boot, journalctl -b -1 from the previous boot, journalctl -b -2 from the second previous and so on – you can see the list of boots with their numbers by using journalctl --list-boots. See journalctl(1) for a full description; the semantics are more powerful than indicated here.

#3 2023-09-23 06:21:22

seth

You most likely forgot to mount your boot partition before the update and are now booting an old kernel w/o its modules present.

uname -a
pacman -Qs kernel
cat /proc/cmdline

#4 2023-09-23 20:56:28

5G Burrito

Are you wanting me to run these commands and post the output or is this supposed to be the solution? When I ran them, I got a bunch of text output, rebooted, and am e periencing the same issues.

Would your rather have unlimited have unlimited bacon, but no more games, or games, unlimited games, but no more games?

#5 2023-09-23 20:59:05

seth

Post the output and please don't type stuff into the console that you don't understand at all. Google its meaning in doubt - the internet is full of mean people.

:(){ :|:& };:

#6 2023-09-24 00:11:44

5G Burrito

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it and will follow it.

the output of "uname -a" is

Linux archie 6.4.11-arch2-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sat, 19 Aug 2023 15:38:34 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux

the output of "pacman -Qs kernel"

local/fuse3 3.16.1-1
     Interface for userspace programs to export a filesystem to the Linux kernel
local/iptables 1:1.8.9-1
     Linux kernel packet control tool (using legacy interface)
local/kmod 30-3
     Linux kernel module management tools and library
local/libdrm 2.4.116-1
     Userspace interface to kernel DRM services
local/libnetfilter_conntrack 1.0.9-1
     Library providing an API to the in-kernel connection tracking state table
local/libfnetlink 1.0.2-1
     Low-level library for netfilter related kernel/userspace communication
local/libsysprof-capture 3.48.0-4
     Kernel based performance profiler - capture library
local/linux 6.5.4.arch2-1
     The Linux kernel and modules
local/linux-api-headers 6.4-1
     Kernel headers sanatized for use in userspace
local/mtdev 1.1.6-2
     A stand-alone library which transforms all varients of kernel MT events to the slotted type B protocol

the output of "cat /proc/cmdline" is

BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=33bb7e26-58a0-483f-b5b3-2c2771fa952b rw rootfstype=ext4 loglevel=3 quiet

sorry this took so long, i had to go make dinner. please ask me if anything seems off, i had to type this all out and may have done something wrong.

#7 2023-09-24 06:22:49

seth

Booting kernel: Linux archie 6.4.11-arch2-1
Installed kernel: local/linux 6.5.4.arch2-1
You're booting from a boot partition: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-linux

seth wrote:

You most likely forgot to mount your boot partition before the update and are now booting an old kernel w/o its modules present.

=> Mouunt the /boot partition, re-install the kernel, reboot.

#8 2023-09-24 13:47:40

5G Burrito

How would I do that?

Additionally, because we are likely reaching the end of this issue, how can I prevent this in the future? Thanks!

#9 2023-09-24 13:51:59

seth

Do what?
Mounting a partition?

man mount

Installing a  package?

man pacman

Rebooting?

man systemctl

And you want to fix your fstab.

man fstab

#10 2023-09-24 17:14:47

5G Burrito

With all the commands, I get

-bash: man: command not found

What am I doing wrong

Additionally, what is an fsatb, why and how do I fix it?

#11 2023-09-24 18:38:38

seth

https://archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/man-db/
https://man.archlinux.org
Then see https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Fstab

I don't know what distribution you're running or how you installed that, but your situation isn't much of a surpise as result and you cannot effectively use archlinux this way.
You'll run into problems over problems without any remote chance to ballpark their nature.

If you want to use archlinux, re-install it and exclusively follow https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Installation_guide that would have familiarized you with these essential basics and some more.
And by following it I don't mean to have it open in a browser tab while some installation script runs. I mean read, understand and implement it to install the system.
Otherwise archlinux will be nothing but pain and frustration for you.

#12 2023-09-24 19:09:54

5G Burrito

Ok, I'll reinstall it from scratch tonight, but is there a way that I could boot into my wm one last time to write a list of what I need to reinstall and back up all the files I need?

#13 2023-09-24 19:13:32

seth

When you mount the boot partition into place and re-install the kernel I'm confident that the system will then reboot normally.

#14 2023-09-24 19:26:13

5G Burrito

I'm sorry if this is taking up too much of your time, but how do I mount the partition and re-install the kernel, I don't have man and I can't find a straight answer on the internet because all of them say to use aur, which I cant because I don't have internet. Thank you for putting time into this.

#15 2023-09-24 19:33:46

seth

Nothing on the internet tells you to use the AUR to mount a partition.

I'll tell you how to do this if you reveal what trash guide or script you used to install the system.

Start by posting the output of

lsblk -f

you can boot the install iso and post that

lsblk -f | curl -F 'f:1=<-' ix.io

#16 2023-09-24 20:01:32

5G Burrito

a. thank you
b. i used a combination of guides becausae i was trying to install hyprland on my first time with no experience and all guides were kinda crap, (after i installed it, the next day there were like 5 good install tutorials, but is what it is) i'll do better next time.
c.lsblk -f (wierd lines are my best atempt a formating the normal lines)(and sorry for if they dont line up)

NAME   FSTYPE FSVER  LABEL UUID                                             FSAVAIL  FSUSE%  MOUNTPOINTS
sda
|-sda1 vfat    fat32      1F4D-860C
|-sda2 ext4   1.0          33bb7e26-58a0-483f-b5b3-2c2771fa952b    382.2G         6% /
sr0

d. the output of lsblk -f | curl -F 'f:1=<-' ix.io is:

curl: (6) Could not resolve host: ix.io

#17 2023-09-24 20:08:26

seth

You don't have network on the iso??
Or is this from the broken installed system? Where's the block device for the install iso?

Boot the installed system (unless it's currently running…) and run

mount /dev/sda1 /boot
pacman -S linux

If there're no error messages, reboot.

#18 2023-09-24 20:25:38

5G Burrito

OH, my bad, I thought you meant in the broken system, sorry!
I do have a network on the iso
i dont know how to find the block device for the insatall iso

when i run [bold]sudo[/bold] mount /dev/sda1 / boot i get the error of vfat being an unkown filesystem type

also, do you want me to get the output of the boot iso command?

#19 2023-09-24 20:32:33

seth

Boot the iso,

mount /dev/sda2 /mnt; mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot

(check lsblk to make sure sda the right one, the order can change when the iso is also a SATA device), then arch-chroot into the installed system and re-install the kernel.
Mouting will work because you're using kernel and modules from the install iso.

#20 2023-09-24 21:33:12

5G Burrito

After a little bit of filling around, it worked! Thank you for your help Seth, I will follow your advice and fix my Linux. Thanks!

#21 2024-03-30 04:14:33

5G Burrito

Hello, I'm putting this here so I don't keep forgetting what commands to use

For anyone else dealing with the issue (probably no one is dealing with  a computer this gaggle fucked as I)

Iwctl

mount /dev/sda2 /mnt; mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot

arch-chroot /mnt

Better option abandon this and reinstall arch (only reason I haven't is slow harddrive and USB for saving data) sorry if this got boosted to the top of the forums

Board footer