You are not logged in.

#1 2023-09-23 00:34:16

Cynosure

How to handle needing static configuration of packages

Hi all,
I am new to Arch and I have a package that I have installed: https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x8 … tomic_ops/

I am working on another project that requires the static configuration of that same library, i.e. building the package with another set of flags. It's perfectly fine for me to do this locally, but if I want users to build from source they would have to do the same. What is the standard approach when someone needs a "special" configuration for packages in one of "main" repositories?

1) Is this something I should reach out to the package maintainer about and expect it to be "fixed" by adding my configuration request? (Heavily doubting that).
2) Is there a place where static builds of libraries are stored that I am not aware of?
3) Should I just be hosting my own configuration of the library on the AUR?

Please let me know what the standard approach is or what other libraries have done. Thanks!

#2 2023-09-23 00:42:16

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: How to handle needing static configuration of packages

Arch doesn't ship static libs unless there is no shared version or in some exceptions for special libs, like glibc. Is there a reason your project can't use the dynamic lib?

#3 2023-09-23 00:50:50

Cynosure

Re: How to handle needing static configuration of packages

No I guess there is not a good reason. Thank you for this though:

> Arch doesn't ship static libs unless there is no shared version

Kind of just wanted to get what the standard was, and this answers my question smile.

Board footer