Xorg.log flooded with errors

My system specs:

-`                    john@officepc
                  .o+`                   -------------
                 `ooo/                   OS: Arch Linux x86_64
                `+oooo:                  Host: MS-7C35 2.0
               `+oooooo:                 Kernel: 6.5.3-arch1-1
               -+oooooo+:                Uptime: 3 hours, 5 mins
             `/:-:++oooo+:               Packages: 1282 (pacman)
            `/++++/+++++++:              Shell: bash 5.1.16
           `/++++++++++++++:             Resolution: 3440x1440, 2560x1440
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`           DE: Plasma 5.27.8
         ./ooosssso++osssssso+`          WM: KWin
        .oossssso-````/ossssss+`         Theme: Breeze [Plasma], Breeze [GTK2/3]
       -osssssso.      :ssssssso.        Icons: Newaita-reborn-pop-os-dark [Plasma], Newaita-reborn-pop-os-dark [GTK2/3]
      :osssssss/        osssso+++.       Terminal: konsole
     /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-       Terminal Font: DejaVu Sans Mono 11
   `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-     CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (16) @ 4.100GHz
  `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso:    GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 6700/6700 XT/6750 XT / 6800M/6850M XT
 `++:.                           `-/+/   Memory: 7547MiB / 32015MiB
 .`                                 `/

This morning, I discovered that my Xorg.0.log is being flooded with these messages, many times per second:

[ 47075.328] (WW) AMDGPU(0): flip queue failed: Invalid argument
[ 47075.328] (WW) AMDGPU(0): Page flip failed: Invalid argument
[ 47075.328] (EE) AMDGPU(0): present flip failed

My Xorg.0.log.old from yesterday has over 2,300,000 lines of these messages.  I am not seeing any other symptoms, just these spammed messages in Xorg.log.  I don't know when this started.

After a lot of Googling and not finding any real fix, I hit upon a workaround:  if I turn off compositing in the KDE system settings, the errors stop.

Has anyone else seen this?  I would like to find a better fix than disabling compositing.

#2 2023-09-23 15:31:55

seth

Re: Xorg.log flooded with errors

Most likely just drop xf86-video-amdgpu and use the modesetting driver (that's not a generic driver like VESA or fbdev but uses the kernel module much the same as wayland compositors do)
The ddx drivers tend to lag behind the kernel development - if you for some reason insist on using it, try the LTS kerne.

#3 2023-09-23 20:59:26

Section8

Thank you.  Just booting the LTS kernel doesn't fix it - those errors reappear if I enable compositing.  For now, I will just live with compositing disabled.  Eventually, when I upgrade to Plasma 6, I will give Wayland a try, which I hope won't have this problem.

#4 2023-09-23 21:00:25

seth

seth wrote:

Most likely just drop xf86-video-amdgpu

#5 2023-10-03 19:52:02

Section8

I have done a little more work on this issue.  I went back through my daily backups and found that these errors started in my Xorg.log on Sept 14, around the time of my more or less weekly run of "pacman -Syu".  This is what was updated then:http://0x0.st/HWQ1.txt.   My best guess is that one of those updates caused this.

After some more googling, I looked closer at my xorg settings.  I had /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-amdgpu.conf:

Section "OutputClass"
    Identifier "AMD"
    MatchDriver "amdgpu"
    Driver "amdgpu"
    Option "HotplugDriver" "amdgpu"
    Option "AsyncFlipSecondaries" "true"
    Option "VariableRefresh" "true"
EndSection

If I change "AsyncFlipSecondaries" to "false" and restart X (logoff my user & log back on), those page flip errors are no longer flooding my Xorg.log.  For my day-to-day work, compositing is working and this appears to fix this.

The arch amdgpu man page is:  https://man.archlinux.org/man/amdgpu.4.  The doc for "AsyncFlipSecondaries" is: 

Use async flips for secondary video outputs on multi-display setups. If a screen has multiple displays attached and DRI3 page flipping is used, then only one of the displays will have its page flip synchronized to vblank for tear-free presentation. This is the display that is used for presentation timing and timestamping, usually the one covering the biggest pixel area of the screen. All other displays ("Secondaries") will not synchronize their flips. This may cause some tearing on these displays, but it prevents a permanent or periodic slowdown or irritating judder of animations if not all video outputs are running synchronized with each other and with the same refresh rate. There is no perfect solution apart from perfectly synchronized outputs, but this option may give preferrable results if the displays in a multi-display setup mirror or clone each other. The default is off.

I have a fairly recent dual monitor setup.  I'm not sure what the effects of changing this are going to be - I haven't tried running any games since changing this

#6 2023-12-07 07:49:22

natedennis

for those that follow behind me... and since this is one of the 3 post on google about this. The above did not work for me. Im running a threadripper with 2 rx7900xtx's. using the 5700xt's i had no error.. swap those new cards in and it floods my journal.     

Section "OutputClass"
	Identifier "AMDgpu"
	MatchDriver "amdgpu"
	Driver "amdgpu"
	Option "HotplugDriver" "amdgpu"
	Option "AsyncFlipSecondaries" "false"
	Option "VariableRefresh" "true"
	Option "EnablePageFlip" "off"
EndSection

#7 2023-12-07 07:55:42

seth

seth wrote:
seth wrote:

?

#8 2024-01-29 05:48:46

MustardOnCheese

seth wrote:
seth wrote:
seth wrote:

?

This worked for me just fine with an AMD 7900 XTX.

Board footer