You are not logged in.

#1 2023-10-03 15:57:08

soylens

[SOLVED] KDE Plasma Wayland session glitches when toggling fullscreen

Update: For any potential person that stumbles upon the problem: The problem I encountered here is related to the Adaptive Sync (Variable Refresh Rates, VRR) feature, which KWin enables for fullscreen windows. Disabling it will prevent the problem. (KDE system settings > Display > Adaptive Sync)

Upon toggling fullscreen of a window, the screen *might* glitch, freeze or start flickering. The machine remains responsive, so you can reboot the machine by switching to a TTY and Ctrl-Alt-Del.
It may or may not return to normal after a few seconds or after the window is closed (say through interaction).

The issue affects the latest kde plasma wayland session currently on the arch repo. The plasma x11 session is unaffected, neither are other compositors, e.g. weston. This suggest that the issue concerns the wayland kwin.

Detail: Not every toggle of fullscreen seems to trigger the issue. Interestingly enough, some windows like konsole, emacsclient (emacs-wayland) seem to be less likely to glitch.
In comparison, firefox, dolphin, stellarium seem to almost consistently cause the glitch.

Here are some information that might be helpful.

Device: Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen11 (intel i7-1370P with integrated graphics + mesa)

The following message appears in the kernel log consistently on every occurence:
i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] *ERROR* Timed out waiting PSR idle state

One or more of the following might accompany the one above:
i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] *ERROR* CPU pipe A FIFO underrun: port,transcoder,
i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] *ERROR* Timeout waiting for DDI BUF A to get active

In one occasion, the following was seen in company, although by no means consistently.
kwin_wayland[1601]: kwin_wayland_drm: Atomic commit failed! Permission denied

Last edited by soylens (2023-10-04 13:37:36)

#2 2024-04-16 11:03:06

SinoCiCi

Re: [SOLVED] KDE Plasma Wayland session glitches when toggling fullscreen

I am a layman, may you please explain what's happening for this glitches issue and why the adaptive sync will cause the issue, I am using AMD gpu and I also encounter this issue...

#3 2024-04-16 14:03:40

c00ter

soylens hasn't been active here since Oct. 2023. Are you sure you want to hang around for their answer?

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

#4 2024-04-16 14:11:04

ewaller
Administrator

SinoCiCi, as C00ter points out, this is an old thread.  As there was a recent major upgrade to Plasma, this thread is probably no longer relevant.
There have been a numerous threads about Plasma on Wayland since that release.  Please check those threads and if none are applicable, please feel free to start a thread you will own.

Closing this old thread.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer