You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-18 05:47:03

dw

kernel stops (sometimes) on boot

Hi. I have a HP pavilion dv9000 series with amd x2 processor. I'm very impressed with arch as most things do work very well.

One problem that remains is, that when I boot the notebook the first time after it was powered off, the kernel (both stock as well as beyond) hang with a "tsc sync" message. I've tried to boot with the notsc option, but the problem still remains.

Anyone?

#2 2007-01-18 06:05:54

byte

Re: kernel stops (sometimes) on boot

When you see the grub menu enter 'e', add "clocksource=pit" to the kernel line and boot with that.

Just a random thought, but might work.

#3 2007-01-18 06:16:23

dw

byte wrote:

When you see the grub menu enter 'e', add "clocksource=pit" to the kernel line and boot with that.

Just a random thought, but might work.

thanks for the input. i'll try this one and will report back....

#4 2007-01-19 05:33:58

dw

Hi. The "clocksource=pit" kernel-parameter seems to solve the problem, that the two cpu's don't sync on first boot.

However, it introduces another problem. Booting with no additional kernel parameter I have a _very_ stable system and cat /proc/interrupts says "0 errors".

Booting with "clocksource=pit" results in cat /proc/interrupts returning 1 error and I'm experiencing random lockups. I mean complete lockups so that I can't even change into command-line via <strg><alt><f1>.

#5 2007-01-19 16:33:07

Stalwart
Website

I have similar laptop (dv6018). Didn't find solution yet.

IRC: Stalwart @ FreeNode
Skype ID: thestalwart
WeeChat-devel nightly packages for i686

#6 2007-01-21 12:14:03

dw

Update: The "clocksource=pit" kernel-option didn't solve the problem at all. With this option I have the boot problem described in post #1 as well as an error in /proc/interrupts (which I don't have if I don't boot with this kernel option) which causes my system to freeze at random points.

So, to summarize. The problem still persists and I didn't find any solution yet  - just as Stalwart. Any hints are _very_ welcome.

By the way, Stalwart: Did you manage to get suspend working on your dv6018?

#7 2007-01-21 14:19:54

Stalwart
Website

dw wrote:

Update: The "clocksource=pit" kernel-option didn't solve the problem at all. With this option I have the boot problem described in post #1 as well as an error in /proc/interrupts (which I don't have if I don't boot with this kernel option) which causes my system to freeze at random points.

So, to summarize. The problem still persists and I didn't find any solution yet  - just as Stalwart. Any hints are _very_ welcome.

When i tried it didn't. I'm waiting for it to stop hanging on boot and panicing from time to time, then will try susping.

IRC: Stalwart @ FreeNode
Skype ID: thestalwart
WeeChat-devel nightly packages for i686

#8 2007-01-28 13:34:44

dw

Stalwart wrote:
dw wrote:

When i tried it didn't. I'm waiting for it to stop hanging on boot and panicing from time to time, then will try susping.

Ok, same here. I'll try suspending when everything else works well.

Perhaps this thread is interesting for you too. Unfortunately, the suggested iommu=off kernel boot-parameter didn't work for me but then, I don't have a dv6000 series pavilion but a dv9000 series.

Board footer