You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-20 21:01:52

daedalusman

adavntagaes and disadvantages of kernel26beyond

Can someone explain to me the advantages and disadvantages of using the beyond kernel of the base kernel? I have already checked the wiki entry on the differences of the kernels but its a bit lack lustered. My main issue is with the frame buffer and nvidia cards. I haven't checked if this is something that has been fixed or not but what I'm talking about is that with my nvidia card I am only able to use vga=771, anything higher and I just get a blank screen. Does the beyond kernel fix this? Also, what else makes the beyond kernel special? Thanks for any replies and help.

#2 2007-01-20 21:08:57

mucknert

Re: adavntagaes and disadvantages of kernel26beyond

I actually wondered that myself. I am using beyond because it has some things that I would otherwise need to patch in myself, which I do not want. But other than those things (suspend2, fbsplash and the likes): what DOES it do? smile

Todays mistakes are tomorrows catastrophes.

#3 2007-01-20 21:14:13

lucke

Beyond kernel used to include vesa-ng, which could've alleviated your problem, but that's not the case anymore.

Main feature of beyond kernel is CK patchset (more info here), which ought to improve desktop experience. Compared to vanilla kernel26 it also contains suspend2 (also available in kernel26suspend2) and gensplash patches, among others. Google for information about their purpose, if you wish.

Generally, especially if you're using desktop system, it's a good idea to go with kernel26beyond.

#4 2007-01-20 21:24:50

manmower

lucke wrote:

Generally, especially if you're using desktop system, it's a good idea to go with kernel26beyond.

If I don't need the suspend2 or a splash screen, are there other reasons to use the beyond kernel over the ck kernel (which I use at the moment)? As far as I can tell it really just supports a lot of stuff I personally don't need (Reiser4 to name one), other than possibly the genpatches which might be useful.

#5 2007-01-20 21:45:53

lucke

It's your call. If you don't need any feature that beyond provides apart from ck, you might simply stick to kernel26ck - beyond usually contains some minor additional fix-patches (it appears there are no genpatches in latest beyond releases), which are missing in kernel26 or kernel26ck, however when there are any upstream 2.6 fix releases (2.6.x.y - like the one with recent rtorrent bug fix), they are generally accessible earlier through kernel26ck package than kernel26beyond (unless Con Kolivas sleeps over or unless Tom is lazy with updating, which I sincerely doubt).

Obviously, iphitus is the one to speak ;-)

#6 2007-01-20 21:48:42

freigeist

manmower wrote:
lucke wrote:

If I don't need the suspend2 or a splash screen, are there other reasons to use the beyond kernel over the ck kernel (which I use at the moment)? As far as I can tell it really just supports a lot of stuff I personally don't need (Reiser4 to name one), other than possibly the genpatches which might be useful.

I use beyond mainly because of these three features:
- Pentium M Undervoltage support (PHC)
- FBSplash
- Suspend2

More Information about beyond can be found at iphitus website

Elfenbeinturm.cc
a metaphysical space of solitude and sanctity: http://www.elfenbeinturm.cc

#7 2007-01-20 22:24:32

tomk
Forum Fellow

Full list of beyond's patches here - most of them are fairly clear, but if you need more details on what they do, google is good.

lucke wrote:

unless Con Kolivas sleeps over or unless Tom is lazy with updating, which I sincerely doubt

Thanks smile However, as you've brought it up...
Some people (including, but not limited to, the person who flagged the ck package out of date) have noticed that kernel26ck does not yet include 2.6.19.2 from kernel.org. Let me just say that of late, Mr Kolivas has other interests in his life, and although he continues to maintain the ck patchset, he doesn't always sync with every .y release. He's due back from Japan tomorrow, so there may be a 2.6.19-ck3 in the next few days. If not, I'll merge 2.6.19.2 myself.

#8 2007-02-02 17:54:48

daedalusman

Ok, well I finally got around to trying out the beyond kernel and upon reboot it throws me a kernel panic. Kernel26 boots just fine. I installed from the 0.8 base install to my /dev/sdb drive. I setup kernel26beyond to boot the same as with kernel26. I am quite stumped on this one. Can anyon help me on this? Thanks for the help, I will mess with the grub settings and see if I can get it working.

#9 2007-02-02 18:21:45

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

are you using the correct initrd? For beyond, it's /boot/kernel26beyond.img

#10 2007-02-03 00:36:46

daedalusman

Well I figured out why I was getting the kernel panic. I didn't notice that vmlinuz26beyond had been created so I just left that part as vmlinuz26 for the beyond kernel. Once I fixed this everything now works just fine. Thanks for the help.

Board footer