[root@arch ~]# ls
swapfile
[root@arch ~]# su joe
[joe@arch root]$ cd ~
[joe@arch ~]$ ls
Desktop  Documents  Downloads  Music  Pictures  Public  Templates  Videos  yay
[joe@arch ~]$ cd yay
[joe@arch yay]$ makepkg -si
==> ERROR: You do not have write permission for the directory $BUILDDIR (/home/joe/yay).
    Aborting...
[joe@arch yay]$ sudo su
[sudo] password for joe:
[root@arch yay]# makepkg -si
==> ERROR: Running makepkg as root is not allowed as it can cause permanent,
catastrophic damage to your system.
[root@arch yay]#

i need some help im still learning arch

#2 2023-11-16 12:36:06

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: I need help installing yay

why are you doing the enirety of this raindance with switching to root and from there to the normal user? Your main problem will be that you downloaded/cloned the PKGBUILD as root instead of as your user.

sudo chown -R joe:joe /home/joe/yay

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/File_p … attributes

Which instructions did you follow to install this system? Arch is not a very good beginner distro and you are struggling with some real basics here.

Also yay is also not reccommended if you don't understand the basics of the AUR, so I'd strongly suggest you read through https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_User_Repository before automating and abstracting away the pitfalls and dangers of the AUR you need to be aware of.

Last edited by V1del (2023-11-16 12:38:51)

#3 2023-11-16 12:39:07

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

For the reasons V1del pointed out, I advise against using an AUR helper.  You should learn how to use makepkg/dependencies, etc.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#4 2023-11-16 15:04:55

Evident6727

Hey there! No worries, there's absolutely no rudeness detected in your statement. It's great to hear that you're experienced in Linux and just looking to expand your knowledge by venturing into Arch. Challenging ourselves is always a fantastic way to grow and break down any barriers that might be holding us back. It's amazing how pushing our limits can lead to personal growth, isn't it? So, go ahead and dive into the world of Arch Linux! With your previous experience and determination, I'm confident that you'll overcome any obstacles that come your way. Happy exploring! ps I studied computer network systems in school

#5 2023-11-16 16:04:31

ewaller
Administrator

Evident6727:  I just read a moderator report that was a bit of an essay.  Did you mean to reply rather then report?

BTW, welcome to the forums.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2023-11-16 16:25:19

cassowary

Evident6727 wrote:

[...] I'm confident that you'll overcome any obstacles that come your way. [...]

Remarkable... roll

Board footer