You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-21 16:26:27

Master One

Mixing KDE/QT & Gnome/GTK+ Apps in Gnome / XFCE / KDE

I read a lot of times, that it shouldn't be any problem, to have a mix of KDE/QT & Gnome/GTK+ apps running properly in any DE or WM, but I am not quite sure how this is supposed to work exactly, because what about KDE apps that need any KDE-specific stuff (like kioslaves), and Gnome apps that need gnome-settings-manager or gconf?

Isn't it true, that running a Gnome app in KDE makes the Gnome app look different (= kind of ugly), specially concerning fonts as well?

My problem is, I like Gnome / XFCE / KDE about the same, but I tend to be a KDE user because of the kioslave / konqueror / kwallet / koffice / kmail advantage, nevertheless I need gnucash (which is a Gnome app).

I am not quite sure, what would be the better approach, so which DE to use (I tried some WMs, but that is too minimalistic for me), if I want to mix all kind of apps.

Of course I could try to go Gnome + Gnome/GTK+ apps solely, which shouldn't be that hard (although I would have to learn first, which Gnome apps can properly replace common KDE apps), but it would be quite a change for me, being a longtime KDE user (although used Gnome before my KDE time, and change can be a good or bad thing, not so sure).

Maybe some users of all three mentioned DEs can comment on the behaviour and setup when mixing such apps.

P.S. Not using Arch yet (writing this from a FC6 test-installation), but I am tempted to use it as my main OS, because all the distros I tried in the last few days could not really make me happy (in need of a binary distribution with a decent but rather minimalistic DE, one app for a task, being able to apply a needed kernel patch easily for some ThinkPad advancements, and rolling release cycle without the need of reinstalling the system every now and then).

#2 2007-01-21 17:19:26

Damnshock

Re: Mixing KDE/QT & Gnome/GTK+ Apps in Gnome / XFCE / KDE

It shouldn't be very difficult to mix gtk and qt apps. If you want them to look the same way, all you have to do is play a bit with the themes and try to get something similar to both "enviroments".  Some gnome apps will need to have a dbus session, so start your session with "dbus-lauch startkde" (you'll have to set this in KDM/GDM/XDM or your xinitrc)

Damnshock

My blog: blog.marcdeop.com
Jabber ID: damnshock@jabber.org

#3 2007-01-21 20:41:59

Stalwart
Website

Try gtk-qt-engine or qtcurve

IRC: Stalwart @ FreeNode
Skype ID: thestalwart
WeeChat-devel nightly packages for i686

#4 2007-01-21 20:53:04

bones
Website

I'm using e17 with a mixture of kde and gnome apps that I've become accustomed to over the years without any problem at all, I'm testing many new applications along the way so as to eventually whittle down my system to a perfect setup. And when I have that, I'll build what I think is the ultimate Linux box, for me anyway 8)

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

#5 2007-01-21 23:38:15

B15HOP

This is a huge problem with linux. Why so much damn duplication. I only want ONE window manager but noooo can't have that can we... Bloat city ahoy!

"The ecological crisis is a moral issue."

#6 2007-01-24 12:36:16

Master One

I am using XFCE4.4.0 now, and I have to say, I like it very much. This is not about an old machine, I installed it on my laptop (ThinkPad T42p) as my only DE. I think I'll try to stick with GTK+ apps if possible, I just have to find out now, which apps I need and which fit best into such a XFCE4 environment. Until now I only installed XFCE4.4.0 + XFCE4-Goodies + Firefox, so I'm open for suggestions about all the other common stuff (I know, that there are already some threads around concerning which apps to use, but time is passing quickly, and old recommendations may not fit any more).

#7 2007-03-08 09:14:21

Master One

In the meantime I swapped over to KDEMOD again, but I am still not satisfied. I prefer a mix of QT and GTK+ applications, and whatever I tried, they just do not look the same if running them in KDE or XFCE4.

Maybe I should try running a WM instead of a DE, after some reading I am very tempted to go for Openbox.

Can somebody running just a WM comment on the results, when mixing QT & GTK+ apps?

#8 2007-03-08 22:26:30

wounded

Master One wrote:

In the meantime I swapped over to KDEMOD again, but I am still not satisfied. I prefer a mix of QT and GTK+ applications, and whatever I tried, they just do not look the same if running them in KDE or XFCE4.

Maybe I should try running a WM instead of a DE, after some reading I am very tempted to go for Openbox.

Can somebody running just a WM comment on the results, when mixing QT & GTK+ apps?

I use Openbox and don't have any ugly looking apps. Granted, I think the only QT app I use is opera though tongue

#9 2007-03-08 23:26:35

Stalwart
Website

For those who need to make Qt apps pretty but don't want/need kde - try Polymer Qt theme. For i686 it's in "community", for arch64 - in my repository

IRC: Stalwart @ FreeNode
Skype ID: thestalwart
WeeChat-devel nightly packages for i686

#10 2007-03-08 23:38:32

Tatey
Website

B15HOP wrote:

This is a huge problem with linux. Why so much damn duplication. I only want ONE window manager but noooo can't have that can we... Bloat city ahoy!

I often see this argument raised in threads/discussions similar to this. The biggest flaw I see in this argument is that how do you define a singe, unified desktop? Should everyone just use KDE, or GNOME? What about Openbox users like myself? Instead, they're better off establishing standards that are compatible with both major DE's. It's a fair compromise.

Check out my website, http://tatey.com

Board footer