You are not logged in.

#1 2023-11-22 16:31:46

zhaose

[SOLVED] Trying to suspend causes a black screen and unable to resume

After recent updates, I found out that suspend almost never work for my laptop any more. It just leads to a black screen and no response pressing the keyboard or power button shortly. It seems only happen to graphic user interface, when I try to suspend in tty, it works fine.

In some cases, suspend works the first time after a fresh bootup, and then it won't work, close the lid will do nothing, and suspend manually will lead to a frozen black screen like mentioned above.

Some thing about my system:
Model: ASUS ROG Flow X13 (GV301RA)
CPU: Ryzen 6800HS
GPU: Internal AMDGPU
Kernel: 6.6.1-arch1-1-g14 (from asus-linux.org project)
DE: Gnome 45.1, Wayland

And some addition information may help:
I have solved this question one time a month ago (maybe?) by downgrading linux-firmware to 20230918's version, but that does not work anymore.
Seldomly, the suspend just works, but at most time it won't.
My system is using s2idle to suspend.
When I trying to check the log after I physically turned the frozen system off, It stops at "kernel: PM: suspend entry (s2idle)", there's no report from systemd which shows the suspend is finished. So the suspend process may hang at some place.

By the way, I really want some method to debug this problem, at least I can see where the suspend process stops.

Last edited by zhaose (2024-02-05 12:10:39)

#2 2023-11-24 05:18:06

ectospasm

Re: [SOLVED] Trying to suspend causes a black screen and unable to resume

When you say "trying to check the log," how are you doing that?  Either dmesg or journalctl -k might give clues, but you may need to look at the boot where you tried to suspend/s2idle.  journalctl --list-boots, then journalctl --boot <previous boot where you tried to s2idle> -k might tell the real story.

But I just noticed you're not using a standard Arch Linux kernel (6.6.1-arch1-1-g14 instead of 6.6.1-arch1-1).  You may need to ask the team that maintains the particular kernel you're using for help, as there may be certain tweaks that are causing this, and the Arch Linux community will be of little help.  If you need to file a bug against the kernel, it shouldn't be on bugs.archlinux.org or gitlab.archlinux.org, it should be on asus-linux.org, and definitely not on kernel.org (upstream).

#3 2024-02-04 09:37:25

user2343

Hi,

I have the same issue with sporadic freezes on wakeup. I am not quite sure, but the system could be available by ssh at these times. The issue occurs only on Wayland session (I use KDE), and it does not happen with Xorg. I am currently narrowing it down to finally resolve this puzzle...

Also, I use Intel driver and have dedicated GPU Nvidia with power being disabled on PCIe level.

Last edited by user2343 (2024-02-04 09:39:15)

#4 2024-02-04 17:32:25

ectospasm

user2343 wrote:

Hi,

I have the same issue with sporadic freezes on wakeup. I am not quite sure, but the system could be available by ssh at these times. The issue occurs only on Wayland session (I use KDE), and it does not happen with Xorg. I am currently narrowing it down to finally resolve this puzzle...

Also, I use Intel driver and have dedicated GPU Nvidia with power being disabled on PCIe level.

This topic is over two months old with no response from the original poster.  Instead of adding to this (almost dead) topic, it's better to open a new topic and give full details of your system:  make/model, kernel version, GPU, etc.

My guess is you're using a standard kernel provided by the Arch team, but I don't know that for sure.

#5 2024-02-05 12:08:47

zhaose

I solved the problem.
The problem is caused by pm_async. It can be disabled by:

echo 0 > /sys/power/pm_async

And It can be disabled on boot by simply creating a systemd service file.
Mark as Solved.

#6 2024-02-13 15:21:22

mortbauer

That seems to work for me as well, thank you for posting!

Board footer