You are not logged in.

#1 2023-11-26 03:58:39

Bilskirnir3124

Network Error with Hell Let Loose and Starship Troopers: Extermination

Hello,

I recently switched my gaming desktop to Linux. I’m running Arch (fully updated, installed via archinstall; install logs here) with MATE. I am using IVPN in addition to Network Manager. I have Steam installed and have largely had little in the way of trouble getting my games to run. I am, however, having problems with two specific games: Hell Let Loose and Starship Troopers Extermination; both of which use Easy AntiCheat. I first thought it was an EAC problem, but with Battlebits Remastered I don’t have any trouble with EAC despite it also being an EAC game. None of my other games with online components have had network issues so far.

I’m running both games on Proton GE from the AUR. I have tried the default, Steam assigned version of Proton and Proton Experimental as well. I have the Proton EasyAntiCheat Runtime installed as well. To the best of my knowledge that is all the needs to be done to configure it. According to what I’ve read, Steam should handle it from there.

Hell Let Loose reaches the “Press any button,” screen, then briefly has the message, “connecting to online servers,” (or something like that) then fails with the message:

“Notice
A network error has occurred. Please try again.”

Starship Troopers meanwhile will reach its Early Access message. When I select, “continue,” I receive the following message (after some waiting time):

“Request Timeout or null response.”

It seems that neither can access the internet for some reason I am unaware of. At this point I’m out of ideas on dealing with these problems on my own. I can’t seem to find anything with web searches relating to these problems. That said, my googlefu might just be atrophied. Things have been working smoothly for me for too long I guess.

I am posting a question about both of these games together due to the commonality. Both use EAC, and both are failing in the same manner.

Thanks for the help. Let me know if I can provide anymore information.

#2 2023-11-26 16:01:39

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Network Error with Hell Let Loose and Starship Troopers: Extermination

For EAC to work properly the game needs to explicitly enable EAC support in their steam settings, which is up to the game developers to enable and might have not happened here, in which case you might be out of luck

#3 2023-11-27 01:55:37

Bilskirnir3124

V1del wrote:

For EAC to work properly the game needs to explicitly enable EAC support in their steam settings, which is up to the game developers to enable and might have not happened here, in which case you might be out of luck

Thanks for the reply. I checked on ProtonDB before installing these games (I'd already had them in my library from Windows) and it was mentioned on their entries that they were working on Linux and the Steamdeck as far as connecting to their servers go. In light of that I think the problem is something local. I'm just not sure where to look for what the problem might be.

#4 2023-12-07 06:10:39

libkd

Bilskirnir3124 wrote:
V1del wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I checked on ProtonDB before installing these games (I'd already had them in my library from Windows) and it was mentioned on their entries that they were working on Linux and the Steamdeck as far as connecting to their servers go. In light of that I think the problem is something local. I'm just not sure where to look for what the problem might be.

I've been quietly following. Any updates? HHL has been confirmed to work when using Proton by many sources, I think this may be a distro specific issue which is quite strange given the context of the error. These are pretty much the only logs we have to debug this error. If the below is true, then, it appears that EAC inside the proton environment cannot properly access its servers hence the network errors. I wish the game itself had debug logs which would further help solve this mysterious issue. Protons logs did not contain any relevant information. I will try switching name resolution from systemd to something else to see if maybe that is the reason behind the error, just on pure hope.

steamapps/compatdata/686810/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/AppData/Roaming/EasyAntiCheat/gamelauncher.log:

[Info] [LauncherProgress] 0%.
[Info] [LauncherProgress] 0%.
[Err!] [Network Error] CDN connection failed!
[Info] [LauncherFinished] EACAsyncResult: 0 Message: 'Easy Anti-Cheat successfully loaded in-game'.
[Info] Unloading the EasyAntiCheat library.
[Info] Destroying windows.
[Info] Exit.

steamapps/compatdata/686810/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/AppData/Roaming/EasyAntiCheat/167/loader.log

[Connection] Connecting to URL: https://download.eac-cdn.com/api/v1/games/167/client/wine64/download/?uuid=uuid
Download Progress: 0%.
Download Progress: 0%.
[Connection] Connect result: Couldn't resolve host name (6) Response Code: 0 Destination IP: Unavailable
DNS resolve to the Content Distribution Network failed!

Last edited by libkd (2023-12-07 06:17:34)

Board footer