You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-22 07:57:11

Xilon

XMMS2 bindings

I'm not sure that this is the place to mention this, but here it goes.

I have switched from Debian a couple days ago and the Debian repos have a bunch of bindings for XMMS2 in the format of xmmsclient-$language. I don't see anything similar in the AUR, and it doesn't seem to be included in this XMMS2 package. I might be being ignorant here, but I simply can't find such packages. This leads to a few packages already in AUR to be broken due to missing dependencies, these include schellac and xmms2-scrobbler which both require the python bindings.

Examples:

$ shellac.py 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/shellac.py", line 2, in ?
    import xmmsclient
ImportError: No module named xmmsclient
/home/user/.config/xmms2/startup.d/xmms2-scrobbler:26:in `require': no such file to load -- xmmsclient (LoadError)
    from /home/user/.config/xmms2/startup.d/xmms2-scrobbler:26

I have noticed that there are a bunch of plugins installed with the XMMS2 package, which strikes me as odd. I am not familiar with the way Arch packages programs yet, but XMMS has its plugins separate from the "core", and imo XMMS2 should as well.

If there indeed are no xmmsclient- type packages, then I am willing to try and make the PKGBUILDs for them, but I am not sure whether they should be merged with the main XMMS2 package (since it does include a lot of plugins) or not.

Sorry if this was the wrong place to post.

Edit: I did some snooping around the Debian repo and I found out why there are less packages in AUR... the package is simply split up. The problem remains though, there are no bindings for other languages.

I'm not sure whether Arch should have XMMS2 split up like that as well, but since XMMS2 is a modular program, it makes sense.

#2 2007-06-06 10:43:41

sergej
Package Maintainer (PM)

Re: XMMS2 bindings

xmmsclient python binding seems is in /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/xmmsclient/, but I don't familar with python and don't know why it can not import it. hmm

#3 2007-06-07 12:08:18

Xilon

nesciens wrote:

xmms2-scrobbler needs the ruby bindings, not python.

My mistake.

I think a good solution would be to have a separate package for each binding. It just seems logical for me that a modular program has "modular" packages

#4 2007-10-14 16:18:12

Slikkie
Website

I also switched from Debian. I was looking for a way to easy implement your own packages in your installation, and I found it at Arch Linux. smile There are pre-build packages, and when they're not good for you, you can easily build your own with the PKGBUILD file. Therefore Arch pre-build packages are not advanced as Debian packages. So it's not possible to split up packages. When you want python bindings, download the PKGBUILD file, try to understand it (this wiki page can help you), modify the configuration options (--enable-python or something), and run makepkg.

But I am also a pretty Arch Linux newbie, so when I'm wrong, tell me smile

Board footer