You are not logged in.

#1 2023-12-03 10:31:40

Markus.N2

mkarchiso: is it possible to add "Super Grub2" like autodetection?

Hi,

I'm currently working on my custom Arch Iso, and because I already have Arch installed and running, it's only supposed to act as rescue medium.
However, I recently had a problem where it was just grub that was not working, so I needed it to start the installed system. Unfortunately, the "Boot existing OS" did not find my existing grub config, so i would have had to guess and fiddle with the parameters. So I resorted to "Super Grub2" to fix my system. I just verified that after fixing my grub, booting the existing OS from the Arch resuce medium also works again with autodetection.

So the idea is to add a more powerful autodetection, maybe even use the original code from the Super Grub2 project. This would make Arch Iso a more complete rescue system.

But before I file a feature request, I'd like to discuss this idea here. Honestly, I just don't know how much effort this would be.

Any thoughts?

#2 2023-12-10 17:10:01

ua4000

Re: mkarchiso: is it possible to add "Super Grub2" like autodetection?

The arch iso is not designed as a "complete rescue system".
It's only for installing required. Yes, ok, also for recovering a broken arch system.

What would be the advantage of "Super Grub2" over booting the current arch iso, mounting the disk (do some repair) and then do a chroot  and do some more repairs ?

The current arch iso is multi functional and supports all type of installations.
I'm not familiar with Super Grub2 in detail, but it has focus on grub? But the world is much bigger: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_b … oot_loader

#3 2024-01-29 21:01:29

Markus.N2

The problem I had while trying to revive my system was to figure out the boot parameters, I only had a blank grub prompt. Not even something like tab completion. And as the system was not booting, I had no way to look up the parameters. As I usually only rarely need a rescue medium, I was not prepared for that, i.e. I did not have the parameters written down somewhere, and of course I don't memorize things like that.

To avoid misunderstandings: the rescue medium booted. The blank grub prompt occurred when I tried to "boot installed system". When using the Super Grub2 medium instead, I just needed to start the auto detection, wait a minute or so, and there was my original grub menu from the to-be-rescued system. Just needed to press enter and it started. And from the then running real system, I could just do a grub-install and everything was fine.

So, the advantage of a Super Grub2 like auto detection is ... drum roll ... the auto detection. It finds everything (that is somehow grub-related) everywhere.

Last edited by Markus.N2 (2024-01-29 21:14:52)

#4 2024-01-30 00:24:21

c00ter

Many Arch users do not use GRUB. Your suggestion would benefit GRUB users only, excluding everyone else. As ua4000 suggested, it's nearly effortless to boot into an Arch ISO, mount, then chroot and do whatever needs done.

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

Board footer